2007 Ion II questions and problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 PM
Question 2007 Ion II questions and problems.

I have a 2007 Ion II automatic that I purchased recently with about 250k miles on it. I am also very new to cars since this is only the second car I have ever owned. I'm going to be asking a lot of differn't questions here instead of making a bunch of threads which would be to cluttering. It has 4 problems with it that I know of and no engine light thankfully.

I have a dirt road that I drive on to get back to where I live and everytime I hit a bunch of tiny rocks I hear a weird rattling noise coming from under the steering wheel and I'm not sure what that could be. I can also turn the steering wheel left to right pretty fast and kind of hear kind of the same noise when in park most of the time.

The second problem is when I go pretty fast to catch up on a highway around 50 miles or so the muffler makes a loud Waaah metal noise, I thought it could be it rubbing against the firewall or something but it only happens during a certain speeds/rpm.

Third is when I got the car the right passenger side door was kind of bent and water leaks in. I think a past owner locked their keys in the car and had someone force themselves in with a bar or something but I'm not sure. When it opens it makes a loud click noise where the door and the right fender side hit each other. I'm not sure how to fix it and was wondering if it would just be worth going to a junk yard and finding a differn't door?

The last problem (if it is even a problem) is when I'm going up a hill and I reach about 35+40 miles per hour I have to press the gas down harder to make it go faster. Is that just a problem because it's a 4 cylinder or is there something more going on you think?
That's all the questions I have and if anyone could help me I would be most greatful. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jdlindsay
I have a 2007 Ion II automatic that I purchased recently with about 250k miles on it. I am also very new to cars since this is only the second car I have ever owned. I'm going to be asking a lot of differn't questions here instead of making a bunch of threads which would be to cluttering. It has 4 problems with it that I know of and no engine light thankfully.

I have a dirt road that I drive on to get back to where I live and everytime I hit a bunch of tiny rocks I hear a weird rattling noise coming from under the steering wheel and I'm not sure what that could be. I can also turn the steering wheel left to right pretty fast and kind of hear kind of the same noise when in park most of the time.

The second problem is when I go pretty fast to catch up on a highway around 50 miles or so the muffler makes a loud Waaah metal noise, I thought it could be it rubbing against the firewall or something but it only happens during a certain speeds/rpm.

Third is when I got the car the right passenger side door was kind of bent and water leaks in. I think a past owner locked their keys in the car and had someone force themselves in with a bar or something but I'm not sure. When it opens it makes a loud click noise where the door and the right fender side hit each other. I'm not sure how to fix it and was wondering if it would just be worth going to a junk yard and finding a differn't door?

The last problem (if it is even a problem) is when I'm going up a hill and I reach about 35+40 miles per hour I have to press the gas down harder to make it go faster. Is that just a problem because it's a 4 cylinder or is there something more going on you think?
That's all the questions I have and if anyone could help me I would be most greatful. Thanks.
I'm gonna try to cover everything in a single post.

Clutter under the wheel. Depending on your region, steering rack may be rusted. Which means starting to seize and make that noise.
Since you stated when you turn the wheel in park I'm gonna take a guess and say the rack or intermediate shaft is the issue there.

Exhaust: You mean the actual muffler or just some part of the exhaust? Flex pipes are known to blow out on these cars. Could be that the cat is clogged. Or the muffler could be starting to rust through.

Now the door: did you run a Carfax? Was it in an accidents? I'm not one to do body work as much as mechanical work. But I believe there is supposed to be a 1/4 in gap in panels. A new door may fix it. Me being me, if spend the $50 on a door to try it out before I'd resort to it being frame damage. Is there visible marks at the top or sides that it was pryed on?

#4: I think its more so that its a 4 cylinder. My car (5 speed) also was sluggish going uphill as well.
keep the air filter, throttle body, and maf sensor clean and it will be a happy car. Especially if you have to go down dirt roads and such.

As always, I live in east texas if you ever need help. And hoard parts I sell on the cheap if you ever need anything.

Feel free to ask away.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DropDead
I'm gonna try to cover everything in a single post.

Clutter under the wheel. Depending on your region, steering rack may be rusted. Which means starting to seize and make that noise.
Since you stated when you turn the wheel in park I'm gonna take a guess and say the rack or intermediate shaft is the issue there.

Exhaust: You mean the actual muffler or just some part of the exhaust? Flex pipes are known to blow out on these cars. Could be that the cat is clogged. Or the muffler could be starting to rust through.

Now the door: did you run a Carfax? Was it in an accidents? I'm not one to do body work as much as mechanical work. But I believe there is supposed to be a 1/4 in gap in panels. A new door may fix it. Me being me, if spend the $50 on a door to try it out before I'd resort to it being frame damage. Is there visible marks at the top or sides that it was pryed on?

#4: I think its more so that its a 4 cylinder. My car (5 speed) also was sluggish going uphill as well.
keep the air filter, throttle body, and maf sensor clean and it will be a happy car. Especially if you have to go down dirt roads and such.

As always, I live in east texas if you ever need help. And hoard parts I sell on the cheap if you ever need anything.

Feel free to ask away.
It sounds like the actual muffler to be honest.

Yes, i did go through carfax and it was in no accidents. I can't really see any visable damage on the top of the door other then the weather stripping being tore up.

And thank you very much for the help. I am very greatful.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:37 PM

If you don't mind, could you snap a picture of the door. Maybe I can see something in a picture.

And the muffler is fairly cheap to replace. It could also be the hanger. I had mine come loose and it caused a rattle.

If you want you could grab a picture of the muffler and hanger and I can try to take a look as well. The hanger is exactly what it sounds like. Has a hook and a black bushing

Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Compare the door hinge placement and alignment with the door on the opposite side of the car.

Whatever is hosing your door was likely not a gentle event, as I believe the only way the edge of the door will hit the front fender is if the door is too far forward on the hinges or the hinges are too fat forward on the frame
Or if the hinges themselves are mangled and therefore not holding the door the way they are supposed to.

The easiest way to sort out the exhaust noise is to have a buddy/buddette gently rev the engine in park with you at tire level tracking down the noise zones. Once you get that generally narrowed down, put whatever part of the car you need to examine up on jack stands and repeat.
USE JACK STANDS. Did I mention that? Take a rubber mallet down there with you for thumping on things. Sometimes it's the only way to figure out the resonances that come and go. Don't beat the crap out of stuff. Try it first with the car off.
JACK STANDS

Old 01-16-2020, 12:01 AM

Be like derf and use jack stands.
I had a mini van fall on me and still haven't learned my lesson.

I use the E brake and block of would. Or I put my jack stand behind the rear tire. Lmao

Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 AM

If you don't mind, could you snap a picture of the door. Maybe I can see something in a picture.

And the muffler is fairly cheap to replace. It could also be the hanger. I had mine come loose and it caused a rattle.

If you want you could grab a picture of the muffler and hanger and I can try to take a look as well. The hanger is exactly what it sounds like. Has a hook and a black bushing
Will take some pictures of it for sure.

Originally Posted by derf
Compare the door hinge placement and alignment with the door on the opposite side of the car.

Whatever is hosing your door was likely not a gentle event, as I believe the only way the edge of the door will hit the front fender is if the door is too far forward on the hinges or the hinges are too fat forward on the frame
Or if the hinges themselves are mangled and therefore not holding the door the way they are supposed to.

The easiest way to sort out the exhaust noise is to have a buddy/buddette gently rev the engine in park with you at tire level tracking down the noise zones. Once you get that generally narrowed down, put whatever part of the car you need to examine up on jack stands and repeat.
USE JACK STANDS. Did I mention that? Take a rubber mallet down there with you for thumping on things. Sometimes it's the only way to figure out the resonances that come and go. Don't beat the crap out of stuff. Try it first with the car off.
JACK STANDS
Alright, Will take a look.

Be like derf and use jack stands.
I had a mini van fall on me and still haven't learned my lesson.

I use the E brake and block of would. Or I put my jack stand behind the rear tire. Lmao
Ouch, at least you're still alive. :P

Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 AM

Cool deal. Looking forward to helping keep another ion owner happy

Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Alive, but damaged

Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 AM

Your catalytic converter could be partially clogged with that many miles on it. Reach under the car with a rubber mallet and hit the cat con a couple of times and see if you hear rattling inside it. If so, replace it and MAYBE get some more uphill power. As for the door hitting the fender, do what derf suggested. Also look at the bolts that hold the fender on. If it has been replaced, you'll probably be able to see marks on the bolt heads and the fender won't be lined up correctly. You can loosen all of the bolts and move the fender forward far enough to increase the gap. Just be sure to loosen EVERY attachment bolt, including the ones under the door. Probably be 3 of them.