General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Loud popping noise when door is opened

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Default Loud popping noise when door is opened

Hello, I'm new here obviously. I just bought a 99 SC2, and I noticed the driver side door makes a loud popping noise once I open it past a certain point. The door works fine its just the noise. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Mine does that to on mine there is a bushing and or pin wore out on the peice that hold the door open at certain location and as you open it past those locations it pops.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 PM

Any help with which parts I would need to replace it would be helpful.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Its the door striker assembly , mine is doing the same

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Could also be the door check. Problem is we can't tell what part is bad from here. Your going to have to go out to your car and see just what's going, we can't do it for you.

Last edited by sw2cam; 08-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 PM

I am not sure what the part is called after I figured out what it was I didn't worry about it to much. I figure it is cheap car alarm that keeps my kids out of it as when my dogs hear it they wake up all the neighbors.

Last edited by Paul b; 08-04-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 AM

You sure the front fender isn't hitting the door in one spot? I've seen cars that have had a slight bump to the bumper and pushed the fender back just far enough to rub the door when it opens. If you found the problem, take a picture and post it here. Someone will most likely know what it's called.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM

I was taking a closer look at it and it looks like when the door opens the door stop (i guess that's what you call it, the thing that keeps the door open) pulls on the metal of the door and makes it pull out then pop back in. I guess that's what's making the noise the metal pulling in and out? I dunno how to fix that, it seems like the metal is thin there or something.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by D.J.
I was taking a closer look at it and it looks like when the door opens the door stop (i guess that's what you call it, the thing that keeps the door open) pulls on the metal of the door and makes it pull out then pop back in. I guess that's what's making the noise the metal pulling in and out? I dunno how to fix that, it seems like the metal is thin there or something.
It's called "door check" and it sounds like it's binding. Sounds like it's been binding for a long time, it's been ignored almost as long.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM

I'm not sure what "binding" means, but I think I'm just going to remove the door check all together and see if that helps. I dunno what else to do.

Quick Reply: Loud popping noise when door is opened