19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:28 PM

She wants to drive away from our wedding in it, which admittedly would be really cool... each time I hinted at maybe parting/crushing, we both got sad... not saying I’m gonna sell stuff to fund the build but it makes more sense to fix it again than to give up on it

Old 01-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
She wants to drive away from our wedding in it, which admittedly would be really cool... each time I hinted at maybe parting/crushing, we both got sad... not saying I’m gonna sell stuff to fund the build but it makes more sense to fix it again than to give up on it

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

Old 01-21-2018, 05:03 PM

I figured out where I went wrong with engine #2, and it embarrasses me to have made such an error

Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Do tell, couldn't be your right foot?
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
How’s the new house coming?

Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 PM

Well yeah my right foot was definitely part of the issue...

i recently read a thread on guys buying used LSJ intake manifolds and swapping onto L61s and a guy made a point to clean the laminova cores in the intake manifold before installing it... He said(and proved with a pic) that they can become gunked up with oil and lose much of their effectiveness... It got me thinking, unhealthy engines have lots of blow-by and ingest lots of oil vapor... I never thought to instruct the mechanic to remove the laminova cores and clean them, so the intercooler wasn't working hardly at all... Explains almost perfectly how on the hot day it would pull boost and/or timing on hot days after just a short pull but on cool evenings it was a savage...

Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Guys, I found a cheap solution to my “dead LSJ” problem that won’t cost me anywhere near $2k...

it turns out that the same engine was used across numerous GM makes under different designations... thus,SAAB B207R can be substituted for LSJ with a couple small alterations...

1. turbo oil return lines need plugged for use later(when I wanna make 400+whp)
2. sensors need swapped from LSJ to B207R, as the Saab stuff isn’t the same
3. Swap LSJ head onto B207R block(takes care of the cams that woulda needed swapped and pulley clearance for supercharger drive belt)
4. use LSJ intake manifold and dipstick, save Saab stuff for later...

the kicker is that, while a used LSJ long block will cost $1500-2000 for a high mileage one, the Saab engine can be had for under $500 for a nice one... add in $75 for a head gasket and all’s good...

Old 02-09-2018, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Wow---

I would never have considered blending parts from TWO DEAD GM brands together to make a mutant supercharged Saabbturn Ion, ya?

The LSJ is a supercharged version of the LK9 Ecotec 2.0 L.
This engine is also known as B207 when used by Saab.2.0T (B207R)2002–2011.
So you can get a 20l1 Saab 9-3 used engine with non-crazy miles on it already fully turboed for $500?
Is it not a bolt-in swap (LSJ-LK9)?

Why not just

leave it intact as a turbo
swap in LSJ cams
new timing set while in there
swap in the LSJ sensors
use the Saab PCM to control the turbo
Tune the Saab PCM responsibly

Cam cover gasket, timing cover gasket, timing set

What torque will the F35 handle?

I find it hard to believe a stock LSJ or B207R @12lbs of boost made only 200 ish horsepower.w 200ish torque (supercharged and turbo stats nearly identical except for the rpms at which it pulls the hardest)
---------------------------------
[THREADJACK]
Of course, another 75 horsepower under my SC2's hood would be fine. And that's before tuning.
The huge bonus of this route is that it would come with a factory turbo exhaust manifold and all the other turbo related goodies, so no piecing it together like folks had to do in the pre 2003 S series world. Wouldn't be a bolt in Frame would need reinforcing. Trans would have to come along So I'd need to buy a good engine from a dead trans car, a good tranny from a dead engine car, or hell, just buy a whole previously running wrecked 9-3 and cannibalize it just to make my SC2 go faster. I wonder how much more HP and boost I could get without other complications.
Guess I'd have to buy 2003 or 2004 to avoid CANbus complications or just take the whole Saab wiring harness and play some tricks with that to run my dash.

"Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!"
[/THREADJACK]

Old 02-10-2018, 10:13 PM

Well they’re available with around 100K for around $500-ish which is way damn less than a factory LSJ with 20-50k more miles, and some will probably have the factory turbo... for cheapness I’m gonna still run it supercharged to avoid having to retune and buy stuff like intercooler...

the factory F35 trans is rated for 200lb/ft TQ input, that’s why the B207R Saabs come with the F40 trans which is stronger and can handle some overhead... no need to use the Saab PCM when the Redline one is easier to tune and already in place in my car... I’d have to do some research into what turbos are available for the stock LK9 manifold but I’m leaning toward buying ZZP’s log manifold and using a T3 turbo instead of the LK9 one, as I think it’s only good for around 260whp... the Borg Warner S256 that I wanna use is efficient into the mid 20psi range and can support 450whp with good spool... I’ve got the fuel available and the stock block will handle 350whp reliably; that’s what I’m shooting for with a turbo swap of any kind...

my trans is already junked, so I’m not worried lol

for S car swapping I’d honestly look at a standalone ECU(Megasquirt or similar) for better engine control