General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Anyone else had this issue with there saturn??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Banned
Default Anyone else had this issue with there saturn??

Hi there. I've got a 2001 saturn SC2 and it would run great when it was first started up and then after it warmed up it'd lose power. On all the threads I read people were saying the CTS (coolant temp sensor) so I changed (it was cheap) and I forgot the plug the sensor back in while I was taking out for a test drive I remembered I hadn't plugged it in. Pulled over popped the hood plugged it and and it started idling and running like crap. Unplugged it ran it for a while and it ran like a champ, run the best it has since I've owned it... So would this mean there's a short some where in the wires that run to the CTS?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Did you replace the wiring pigtail and where did you get the sensor. If you got it at Autovanceoreilly, then that's most likely the problem. You need a brass tipped one from a Saturn friendly GM dealership. Is the pigtail on yours a squeeze connection or does it actually have a tight fitting plug? Mine had a squeeze type connector and it was broken, not allowing a good tight fit on the sensor.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned

Yes I did get it at advance auto but I was having this issue before I changed it and decided to change it out so I'm guessing something to do with the pig tail, it is the squeeze type connector. What did you have to do to get a good connection??

Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Take it back, get your money back. Go to a GM dealer buy a new sensor, and pigtail from the dealer. Solder the connection. Come on when done and tell us what's going on. If the SES light is on or if it comes on before you return here have them read. Post the code not the interpretation the guy behind the counter gives you. That will give you, as well as us a good starting place with correct parts to find out what's going on with your car....and you could be lucky and find the correct sensor and fully operating connector did the trick.

If you would please go to the new member forum and introduce yourself. Evan better open the user cp and fill out your signature. Add your first name, state, yr and model. That way we always remember your name etc. In the mean time.......Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstareric
Yes I did get it at advance auto but I was having this issue before I changed it and decided to change it out so I'm guessing something to do with the pig tail, it is the squeeze type connector. What did you have to do to get a good connection??
I got my sensor and pigtail at a GM dealership. I also made sure the sensor was brass tipped and not that resin type crap. I did as Rj has suggested and cut the old pig tail off, put some shrink tube on the wire and then soldered the connections and heated the shrink tube. Done and done, problem went away.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM

There are a few parts on the S series cars where it is rather important to get a dealer sourced part to insure proper operation and this stupid sensor is one of them. There is a perfectly good reason for it as the sensor was incorrectly defined from the get go when very first used and after market created a part based on the incorrect information. It was not really discovered as a problem due to problems showing up for over 10 years and by that time the after market was stocked with the wrong part and the lack of interest set in and that was never repaired.
Things like that happen. And did in this case.
The dealer part is not only the correct part and it's value but also the correct recommended repair procedure.
A bit scary if you think about it, when does the dealer stop stocking parts for the car. The S car is now 24 years old and by some definitions an antique. But they still stock it. Most if not all GM dealers will order S series parts for you. Some even advertise that they will.
Maybe at some point in time the correct values for the part can be identified so people can check it for accuracy as historically manufacturers only stock parts for so many years and on makes no longer in business that "So Many" is usually very few years.
I agree with the others, a dealer part is warranted for this part.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:59 AM

Just don't be surprised that the part comes from China. At first I was hesitant about using it, but couldn't find one made here in the USA. So, I used it and it worked for me.