New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Never had a Saturn before...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Default Never had a Saturn before...

well decided to goto Spirit Lake, Ia yesterday since for some reason I was awake at 8 am. Friend who works at car lot tried to talk me into a pontiac but i said NO! I looked at a few cars then I saw the Saturn. Nice little car. Wanted to know if it were manual, cause thats a plus for me...and it was....test drove it, liked it...although it doesnt have power anything inside...

Went back inside to start paperwork to see if was able to get this car...ended up driving it home. Boy am I happy. Traded my pos 92 chevy blazer tahoe lt, obd scanner and $200 cash for it. Only thing it really needs, are front speakers, muffler, and thermostat. Doesnt have any leaks that I have found yet.

Anyways, this is my first Saturn, and hopefully a car I can invest in...

1997 Saturn SC1, 1.9l, 5 speed, 158k miles.

Now that being said and done....where the heck do I find the thermostat on this car???? I believe I have found the housing but I have never seen a thermostat like the one napa showed me...and never had to pay $20 for one either...not that I bought it, but thats what their price is.

Also read on the saturn website, the sc1 has 100 hp. 28/mpg city and 40/mpg highway....I LIKES!

Last edited by choover82; 02-24-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Combining posts
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Banned

First off -- Welcome to the Forum.

With respect to your thermostat ... it is located inside the fitting where the top radiator hose connects to the engine. Granted, the "ears" on the unit look a little strange, but if you are unsure about the part, go to your local "Saturn friendly" GM dealer, and get the part from them ........

Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

welcome.

check your oil frequently. Many are oil burners especially at that mileage.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum ......................

Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM

Thanks =)

Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Is the location of the thermostat under the ac pump? I cant see it being on the very top coolant hose....plus I can see what appears to be a housing, but ya never know...and since this is my first saturn, id better ask first.

Also, not related to the thermostat, im getting a thumping sound, maybe passenger side front or middle...I first thought it was only when I turned left or right in first gear, but actually in any gear...going straight, if on snow, and give throttle, something is knocking...almost like wheel hop but it wouldnt be that...ill check for broken stuff tomorrow. Any ideas?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by derf
welcome.

check your oil frequently. Many are oil burners especially at that mileage.

I was told this car was taken care of. Looks like new valve cover gasket, new wires, and hopefully plugs. Coolant might need to be flushed, due to thermostat not opening properly (my guess). No leaks of any kind underneath the car...but I did see some ground cables needing attention.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM

That thumping may be a busted motor mount. Check them out. And welcome to the forum.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM

They do have a tendancy to grow on you, for sure. I bought one 16 years ago and I keep thinking I'd trade it eventually but I liked it then and like it now.
Strange thumping or knocking sounds can also be things like bad CV joints.
It would help you to purchase something like a Chiltons service manual for your car to be able to figure out how to fix things on it. $25.00 or so at O'Rielys or AutoZone. Check oil frequently until you figure out if it is using it or not and with high mileage use some thing like a 10W30 in it or something with the first number higher than 10 and the 2nd number higher than 30.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM

Id say it sounds like cv shaft but just want to get advise first...almost every vehicle ive owned in the state of iowa, ive had to replace axles...

Is it hard to do on this car? (if thats what it is?)

Id take it back to the dealer but it was sold as is so i dont think theres much they will do.

--I will check mounts tomorrow--

Im actually happy to have a car that isnt all covered up with wires and hoses...traded in my s10 blazer....could barely do anything with that without having to move a wire...

Quick Reply: Never had a Saturn before...