Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

timing help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Holy crap! It sound to me like you've got a broken valve.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM

I listened to the video
1. You need a compression check on all 4 cylinders to start with. And you at least need to be able to read each cylinder and mark the value down so you remember it and then squirt some motor oil in each cylinder and make a new reading and record it.
The results will probably give some idea of what is needed but obvously something drastic is wrong.
2. Don't bother wasting your money on what you refer to as a Sea Foam run. There is absolutly nothing to be gained from it. What ever it is you expect it to do.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 PM

ok stupid question... but my buddy wanted to kno if a civic motor and tranny would bolt up ... not weird or anything... right?? cause he said he can get me one fer cheap since the body is the only bad thing on the civic

but my question is.... would ANYTHING bolt up to a saturn... or only saturn motors and trannys

Last edited by winkler91; 10-20-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 PM

No it is not a stupid question. The answer though is, it is not a civic. The only thing that bolts into that car is another Saturn engine from an S series Saturn. Check the Sticky at the top of one of the threads it will give you all the information you ever wanted to know and some that you did not want to know. All relating to what you have to do in order to get a variety of Saturn motors to fit.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
No it is not a stupid question. The answer though is, it is not a civic. The only thing that bolts into that car is another Saturn engine from an S series Saturn. Check the Sticky at the top of one of the threads it will give you all the information you ever wanted to know and some that you did not want to know. All relating to what you have to do in order to get a variety of Saturn motors to fit.
ok cool thanks!!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by winkler91
ok cool thanks!!
so would i end up needing top or bottom end??

Last edited by winkler91; 10-21-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 AM

hell if i had the 2k dollars id just buy the new engine lol

http://catalog.gmpartsdirect.co/inde...=10&type=parts

Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by winkler91
hell if i had the 2k dollars id just buy the new engine lol

http://catalog.gmpartsdirect.co/inde...=10&type=parts
Well, yes.
All it takes is money when working on a car.
Money or enough knowledge and skill, a place to work, the tools and time to do it and the desire. And that 2 k you are referring to could very well come close to double if you add in tax, shipping and paying some one else to do the job.

Your question of what you need I can not answer. I have not seen your car other than the U tube which says something drastic is wrong.

YOu have not supplied the requested information in the manner of which it was requested which is the basic requirement to determine what it is exactly that is wrong but if I had to guess from the sound and the description of what has happened in the past by the previous owner the cylinder head is toast due to mechanical ineptitude, the thing could have dropped a valve which has damaged a piston leaving pieces of both scattered around your engine getting in places it shouldn't, rather than diagnosing the problem before it got worse you poured motor fix it in a can in the thing and then drove it making what ever is wrong worse depending on wishful thinking.

The car it self has X amount value and the odds are having some one completly rebuild the car is so expensive that the cash value of it is not worth doing the work unless you yourself want it done.

That is reality. Reality is not a TV show with a discussion with the camera man as to how you can screw people you are with while lost on an island, arguing with your father while you build motor cycles or building a custom car on a 1 hour tv show. All while peope watch you and the advertisers pay the bills.

When they come due,it is your nut you have to cover.
The cheapest way out of this is a junk yard engine which at best is a gamble. Questionable condition, dirty and hard to deal with requiring skill on your part and tools and some knowledge as to how to use them and money to pay for things.

The next level is to have some one rebuild your motor which probably at this point in time is a total loss, requiring another complete motor to rebuild and all of the above.
Buying a running Saturn and doing a motor swap would solve some problems.

Are these things being done all the time? Yes, I am doing things like that myself.

But I can, I want to and I am good at it. And when I get done the only cash value the car has is to me. No body else wants one.
The ball is in your court. I like my Saturn, it too is a Coupe except it has a twin cam engine and about 100,000 miles. I screwed up the paint job I did and I have to do it over. The heat and sun where I live has damaged the interior, many plastic parts and rubber seals. It at the present time has a terrific drive train and little in the way of cosmetics. It would problably cost me about $1000.00 to get it looking good again and a lot of work on my part and it will get done up to the point where I can no longer get parts for it that are damaged beyond repair and that is mostly the cosmetic pieces where heat has turned the plastic interior pieces brittle and all you have to do is touch them and they break into shreds.
If your car was any closer I would offer your junk yard value for the car just to get the plastic parts. But that would fix my problem, not yours. And mine is not for sale.
Good luck. You need for starter, a whole complete new motor to replace the one you have in my opinion. Where you get one and what it is going to cost is something I can not help you with.