Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

timing help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Default timing help

where is the timing chain at and if its out of time can it be put back in?? i saw that i can buy a new set of sprockets and a chain ... but idk if its gonna help .... pictures would be helpful for location on 94 sc1 SOHC

Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Ehhhhh, If you don't know where it is, I doubt that you need to be fooling with it. I'm not trying to be rude, just realistic. However, if you want to try it, it's located under a plastic cover on the front of the engine and runs from your crankshaft up to your camshaft. Sorry, but I don't have a manual or pictures to show you exactly where it is.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 10-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

Winkler, my man ...

You need to swing by your local AutoZone, O'Rileys, PepBoys, or whatever. Several book companies (Chilton or Mitchell to name a couple) make a wonderful repair manual that is exceptionally detailed in this area of engine repair/rebuild, and they only cost around $25usd....

Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

the timing advance and retard on these cars is controlled electronically; the "base" timing is controlled by the timing chain. Unless it gets noisy (a sign of stretching or possibly a chain guide failing) just leave it alone. Until it breaks. Then get a new car.

It's not like the old days of distributors

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 AM

I recall seeing an S model Saturn in a wrecking yard that had a broken timing chain that did not come from old age and wear and tear.
Mind you it was a wrecking yard and this one turned over and slid down the road on it's nose wearing a hole in the hood, a hole in the cover over the timing chain on one of the cams and then proceeded to wear through the chain and the cam until the chain separated into two pieces. All before the whole thing came to a stop while sliding on it's nose. It must have been going like a bat out of blazes to slide that far on it's nose and then as all Saturns did in that wrecking yard, it became a parts source for others that were in the rent to own fleet.
That truly was a car that did not deserve the fate the accounting department handed it. Oh Well.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM

lol if i could get a sound clip up i would lol but youtube its bein stupid

Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by winkler91
lol if i could get a sound clip up i would lol but youtube its bein stupid
ok im gettin one up now of a vid

Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM

ok sorry about havin to turn ur neck.. my phone like to do tthings sideways i guess but here ya all go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VRXx...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

eeeek -- that looks and sounds awful.
What were the compression test readings across all four cyl's?
I think you said cyl 4 wouldn't fire and 3 was 30 but I don't remember the other values if they were posted.

Seems to be running on 3 cyls. Until you sort out why we ain't goin anywhere.

Really need to get all 4 cyl readings to get an overall idea of engine condition.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by derf
eeeek -- that looks and sounds awful.
What were the compression test readings across all four cyl's?
I think you said cyl 4 wouldn't fire and 3 was 30 but I don't remember the other values if they were posted.

Seems to be running on 3 cyls. Until you sort out why we ain't goin anywhere.

Really need to get all 4 cyl readings to get an overall idea of engine condition.
yea i was new to compression testing and nervous cause it was me old boss's new tester ... so ill have to swing by advanced next week when i get a plate and registration and find out what all 4 are pushin... plus ill do a seafoam run

Quick Reply: timing help