Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Severe pain in leg, help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:57 PM

... And Friday, while working OT cutting up pieces of pipe with a guillotine I pulled the hamstring in my other leg, picking up 3ft pieces that weighed 100-120lbs...And of course I didn't know I had done it until the next day, so I'm on my own for healing, but I still have to work tonight... FmL...

On the bright side, I now have a pain to compare between the two legs... Why did the first doctor ever think I had this going in before?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:31 PM

Well damn homeboy you're doing good. Been to the doctor yet?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 PM

No, I haven't... Not that don't want to finish the thing with my bad leg(the recent injury has healed), but I didn't have the cash, and now, I don't have a babysitter to watch my son while I go to the doctor...earliest I could go is after June 6...

Our babysitters are going on a cruise for a week, and both my wife and I work... I ran out of the stuff the doctor prescribed, so I'm back to taking ibuprofen and being pain free while I'm at work... I don't take it at home, partially to avoid liver damage, and partially because the pain is much worse at work, and I don't want to take medication I absolutely don't need...

Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

You would need to take a ginormous amt of ibuprofen to cause serious liver damage -- unless your liver is already impaired.

Not taking it at home.......what would happen in an emergency with one of your kids (with only you at home) if you had to get to them quickly but couldn't because of the limp, pain, etc?

I understand and respect your personal choice in deciding what goes into your body and what doesn't.

Please know that Ibuprofen and similar anti-inflammatories are not addictive (you're not taking them at home, so you've already proven that), and that you may actually heal faster if you can keep the inflammation down "round the clock".

Right now, you're taking it at work, the inflammation goes down, maybe some healing takes place, then you come home, the inflammation flares right back up, probably negating that day's healing and possibly more. On off on off with anti-inflammatories gets you nowhere in terms of healing because of what I just described.

Plus you're hurting when you don't have to.

Food for thought

Old 06-10-2015, 01:37 PM

Dh is dealing with what sounds like pretty much the same issues. His is called sacro-illiac with a trigger point, per the dr. here. We are trying the chiropractic route right now, and I hope he gets relief soon, he's not amused and is upset about not being able to do the projects he wants to do (construction here). Visit #1 with chiro did a bunch of realignment, now to see if we can get the soft tissue stuff un-inflamed and settle the pain level down.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 PM

So far, I've been taking ibuprofen to keep the pain in check, and it has worked fairly well... I'm hoping that, with family stuff settled down, I can go back to the doctor on my next days off and continue to pursue the issue... The doctor said that it seems a nervous issue and not a pulled muscle... He examined it and decided to try an anti-inflammatory regimen before going overboard with tests... The stuff he prescribed was less effective than the ibuprofen I was taking...

Old 06-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

I was gonna nag you about returning to the doc; tick tock tick tock

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I know, time is wasting... That, and I accidentally forgot my meds the last couple days I worked... The pain serves as a harsh reminder that the issue isn't yet taken care of... Actually the pain in my leg is fading while the knee problems escalate, and the ibuprofen does little for that problem... The issue there isn't pain, so much as numbness/tingling... There is also pain, but the main problem is the tingling...

Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 AM

Have you tried baths with Epsom salt?
It supposedly helps with nerves. I know its a tad expensive, but might be worth a shot. Just a little something extra at night.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 PM

I haven't tried the Epsom salts, due to not having any on hand... At the moment, I'm trying to consistently remember to take my ibuprofen with me to work...

Quick Reply: Severe pain in leg, help?