Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Poor Balance/Dizziness Episodes -- Seeking Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM

At least the symptoms are going away and the therapy is helping, derf. Don't try to analyze everything so much. Just accept the fact that you're improving and getting out of the house and driving now. Be thankful for that, man. We're all on your side and Re and I do pray for your recovery.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 PM

I know the feeling of just trying to find what's wrong, as I have a chronic condition too(slightly different nature), and in the end I just accept the times when it doesn't bother me, and deal with the times when it does...

Old 02-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I am slowly coming to to terms with the dizziness thing -- I was asked to track food intake to look for a pattern but there doesn't appear to be one. I am quite thankful that the symptoms are slowly fading. Thank you for your prayers Rube.

I too have another chronic condition of a totally different nature (as many of us probably do) where medication only helps so much -- the rest is up to my body. Some days are wonderful, some days are useless, some are both, some are anywhere and everywhere in between. It is what it is and that's it.

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 PM

I KNOW the ENT said your problem is BPPV, derf, but have you tried the Eply manuver to see what happens. Here's a how to video of it. Brenda can assist you. One of my brothers that does this has never even been to a doctor for it. He learned if from the other brother that has had dizzy spells.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

thank you. Although I was put through testing that ruled out BPPV I'll give it a try.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Derf, I'm not the analytical person like you are, but not getting to the root of the problem is high on my list of irritants. As a somewhat OCD person at work, I can really understand the frustration of things not falling into place, and too many simultaneous changes making the real reason stay masked.

Glad the therapy is working, hope you can continue training your brain to work with what you have and stay mobile!

Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

happy to report that trigger point massage therapy of my trapezius, SCM, and splenius capitis muscles by my wife are working absolute wonders. I found some great basic info online about where the trigger points are located. Seems I am rather knotted up. I went from a stumbling ape for the last three days to getting a rub tonight from the wife to getting the best 5 hours of sleep I've had in MONTHS and not dizzy in the least. Unfortunately the positive effects only last for 2 days, as I have to relearn proper neck posture that was tossed out the window while trying to stay vertical all these months.

Now to find a therapist who specializes in trigger point therapy.

Aside: I knew we were onto something when my wife was loosening up one of my traps and that ear began to ring like crazy....

Thank you to ALL for your support and suggestions along the way!!!

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 AM

Most COMPETENT physical therapists can do the trigger point injections, derf. At least the one we go to offers them. Splenius capitis, huh? Seems someone mentioned that to you a few weeks ago!

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 02-22-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Glad to hear you've found something that's working well for you! Wishing you success in finding the right PT to keep it getting better.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yes indeed some total rube out'n da stix dione toldme 'bout dem mussels.

Not sure what you mean by injections. What I have read about and we have been doing is trigger point "release to break down the knotted muscle tissue. The knots in my lower traps are massive. It's scary how interconnected the whole neuromuscular system is, let alone just the nervous system. In fact, depending on the order in which you try to release the trigger points I described above, you can with almost absolute certainty trigger a migraine on that side of the head. I will testify to that.

Also, I hope, through treatment, that my ears and eyes will eventually begin to stop disagreeing. Which brings up the vestibular therapy, the goal of which is to retrain your brain to react differently to the stimuli around me. If the trigger point stuff is fully successful, will I be messed up in the other direction because now I've taught my brain to overrespond to things that used to be a problem but are no longer present?

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Poor Balance/Dizziness Episodes -- Seeking Help