Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Poor Balance/Dizziness Episodes -- Seeking Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Rube. I will reach out to these folks.

I also have an appt w my ENT for next Monday. For the record, otolaryngologists are often referred to by the nickname "ENT"s. So, per our chat Rube, I am seeing an otolaryngologist. There is no difference. I just learned something.

The biggest challenge is getting all of last friday's results compiled and sent to the referring doctor and myself so that I can go to the appt w all the required test results.

Thanks again folks -- we'll see what this week brings.

Oh, I start vestibular (inner ear) physical Therapy on Thursday.

Didn't do much of anything today. No motion on my part seems to keep from triggering the true nasty dizziness/floor movements.

I'm seemingly stable for now. Don't be too worried

Last edited by derf; 01-14-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Well joy of joys I went to the ENT today. He had reviewed all of my prior test results (CT, MRI, extensive vestibular testing). He seemed to agree that the CT was negative, MRI was negative, and the vestibular testing results were inconclusive.

I proposed to him that even though things are inconclusive, maybe we could just start trying to address the symptoms along the commonly accepted paths for some of the vestibular conditions that are out there.

I suggested diuretics -- he said that he honestly did not think they would help because he did not believe that the issue was a buildup of excess fluid in my inner ear, so there was nothing to dry up. I pointed out the fact that I can yawn and swallow with the normal soft click sound that everyone hears but after three swallows it becomes a crackle click. He said that meant my Eustachian tubes would open up and equalize pressure but did not stay completely clear. I asked again if this could be a sign of excess fluid, but he said he did not think so.

I then inquired about tubes? He again said that he did not believe it was a fluid buildup issue and that such a course of action was not appropriate, and, in his experience, installing tubes in patients without fluid problems becomes a nightmare for the patient since there is nothing in the tube so it's a conduit for sound that bypasses your eardrum.

His final thought is that this may not be vestibular at all. He referred me to a neurologist ( not the a hole in downtown pittsburgh who did all the tests) to see if there are issues with the cervical portion of my spine. He added that there is a muscle, the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) that can seize in the tightened position and disrupt structures near the mastoid bone, causing dizziness, tinnitus, balance issues, etc.

I initially thought he was full of crap and just passing me on, but damn would you believe this is a known phenomenon according to the web---and everything on the web is true.

It can be caused by bizarre sleep positions that put excessive stress on the SCM, not so bizarre positions that put excessive strain on it, and many other things
Also I gotta go get a consult from the dentist (signs of tmj, grinding, clenching, etc)

This could explain why the onset was literally overnight...

This likely does not account for all my years of poor balance --- the testing showed signs of goofy eye movement, and my vestibular therapist sees some of them too.

Funny--- the exercises that increase earaches and ringing are the ones that require head rotation from one shoulder to the other....

Might be onto something.....might be a pipe dream....so the journey continues.....

Rube -- thanks for your support, dude

This is my late night outlet for my frustration and pain; that's what family is for......

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 AM

Brother I wish you luck finding what's going on. I have no idea what to tell you about any of this condition. Fingers are crossed my friend.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM

The SCM is also attached to the splenius capitus muscle, derf. Belive it or not, some deep tissue massage on the splenius capitus may help a little bit. You mentioned the mastoid again, so once again, I'll ask. Has anyone looked to see if you have mastoiditis? It's a wicked sum beech and can cause a LOT of the things going on with you. When you go to the neurologist, ask him about mastioiditits and the splenius capitus muscle, please.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Sw2.

Damn Rube, just hang out a "human anatomist" sign outside your door already
Had an actual migraine headache writing that last night, so not sure how cohesive it was. Must have been ok since it generated some ideas from you.

My ENT confirmed that both the CT scan and MRI were normal, so I infer from that there is no sign of infection at the mastoid. I also exhibit no signs of an infection (fever, etc). But I will double check with the doc.

As for the deep tissue massage, that's a great idea --- which I requested last night from the wife. Everything from my traps up is tight as a board and although I couldn't identify where those muscles are, she massaged the entire area, and my earaches have lessened this morning but the ringing continues.

I know it's not a one time = cure. But since my followup w the neuro isn't till the 28th, I have plenty of time for some deep tissue work.

Will show my wife where those muscles connect and run and will take it from there.

Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM

Hey Derf,

You really may be on to something with the massage treatment. Since everything connects to everything else, if one thing is out of whack it can cause issues somewhere completely different. It may be worth checking out a good holistic chiropractor or massage therapist. My DSisIL had bouts of severe nausea for about 2 years or so. Continual issue. Can't imagine being nauseated for 2 years. Anyways, after just about every Dr in MN including the Mayo Clinic, no one found out what was wrong. She went to a holistic chiropractor who discovered that her back was far enough out of alignment that it was binding up her gall bladder (that had been tested multiple times and actually worked fine but everything was seized up in there). He did I believe 4 adjustments, the nausea instantly went away and she got one helluva migraine from everything flushing through. Long story short, she got rid of nausea that no regular MD could find a reason for - one even told her it was all in her head, that didn't go over well - but a chiro was able to diagnose and FIX the problem. She has been nausea free for probably 10 years now.

Just wanted to bring that little story up as an example of how a last resort sometimes does work, even if you're skeptical of non-traditional treatment.

I sure hope you find relief soon, I can't imagine how awful you're feeling. Hugs,

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM

Ginny ....... they should take him to the nearest animal shelter and have him snipped. Then ..... and only then he can have a message...My brother-in-law (X wife's brother) has Vertigo. I have no idea what all has to do with what. I know that he does not work and has not worked since he was about 26 yrs old. I don't see him, or hear from him. He is not in the country to often. His wife is a lifer in the AirForce, and to keep food in his mouth he does what he is told. This I know because I talk to his Daughters all the bloody time. Any way he has dizzy spells and I guess they can get prudy bad.....It took some time for the Dr's to figure it out. Bobbie, Daughter number one said it took them about four years before they started treating him for it.

Last edited by RjION; 01-14-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Ginny. I'd always been skeptical of chirpractors until my wife benefited greatly from seeing one. I don't consider it alternative medicine -- just a discipline based on the theory that proper alignment of everything should yield the best results for the body as a whole. I guess that makes it holistic......

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 AM

Derf, believe it or not, sometimes a chiropractor can do wonderful things for you. I have an ex brother in law that used to be a very good one. Unfortunately, he's a raging alcoholic nowadays and isn't worth a crap for anything. But back in the day, he helped my wife out with several back issues she had. I went to one several times with a back problem and he helped me. Soooooooooo, at this point in time, I'd think you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by seeing one with a good reputation in your area, along with a massage therapist that specializes in deep tissue massage. What have you got to lose, except headaches and dizziness?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

I am heavily weighing that option. I'm assuming any decent and smart chiropractor would want the "all clear" from my docs w/r/t fundamental neck issues. Of course I'd want that too. I'll follow up on that.

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Poor Balance/Dizziness Episodes -- Seeking Help