Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Making Headway on my Engine project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM

More pictures .... and of what your putting it in.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 PM

I'll get some more pictures here as it goes back together. Something like this goes kinda slow when working on a budget. I have it apart and spread out in the garage now. I am finding things I wish I had not found but so far everything is dealable. I really don't see any adverse wear, just some bone headed assembly techniques used on it. I have ordered a hand full of studs that searve as two of the 4 bolts used on the mains that also hold the windage tray. The heads were damaged. No excuse for that. There are 2 threaded bolt holes I am going to have to repair in each of the DartII heads that hold the intake manifold. Thread stripped out. I think but not sure that Heli_coils will work. I have to take the time to check that out. The block was painted with exhaust manifold paint. Dumb. I sat and stripped it using Laquer Thinner and cotton *****. Makes no sense, the paint had to come off because nothing could be painted over it and it would never set up. Dumb. I have an Iskenderian Cam shaft comming, a dual pattern, it should work and if my luck runs true, I will be able to get the thing to pass smog if I have to, and the re-tune it to run hard. All aluminum pieces are oxidised. I want to figure out how to polish them if I can. I have never done that.
Next Sunday is a Large Chevy Show in Mesa complete with vendors and swap meet. I have a performer manifold with the engine but if I can score a used Air Gap manifold I would be happier. OR a Cheap Manifold for either a Quadrajet or Thermo-quad would please me. I'll keep one eye open for that. I have an almost new Thermo-quad I would like to use and save the AFB for an AMC application. This week I will buy a new gasket set, try to buy a bolt set from a Vendor, keep an eye open for a new oil pan. I can salvage this one, it has rust on it but it can be ground down. I need to send two sets of Valentine flowers out too. I guess I'll just spend money like I have it.
As things go to gether I will get pictures, the engine will be painted a Blue Metallic with a clear coat and my new free Camero should show up by the end of the month. I hope the cam comes Monday, I can start putting things back together. I still don't know what I am going to do with the engine, either sell it, put it in my 1976 Hornet wagon or maybe deal with the Camero. I guess that depends on the condition of the Camero, it might be smarter just to off the Camero when I get it and put the money into the Engine.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Progress report; A phone call to Iskenderian this morning, my cam is being manufactured and shipped today. I have had nothing but good luck with Isky cams. Like'm. A trip to the Chevy dealer to find my bolts for the main bearings are being ordered from the vendor, should show up by the end of the week. Gaskets (Fell Pro) ordered from CarQuest along with a specified set of Cold spark plugs and a heli-coil kit. They should be in tomorrow, I'll check on Wednesday. I can probably still use the oil pan. It is cleaning up o.k., but a Chevy Show at Chapmans on Baseline in Mesa will take place on Sunday with vendors and swap meet. Still looking for an Air Gap intake and/or a spreadbore used manifold, a bolt set, maybe and oil pan and brackets for a sanden A/C compressor or I'll make my own. Looked at a turn key crate 350 with a performance equivelent of the old Tuned Port intake. NICE, at 5 grand.
I'm still shooting for a running engine and transmission for under a grand. I'll see what I can come up with.
It is a challange.
The Sales Manager mentioned I am driving a Saturn Model no longer being made and I should trade it in. When I asked why the answer was, it is no longer being made. It seems that marketing is using the same thought process that says GM can make more money by closing factories and eliminating expenses.
Funny, I am old enough to remember when GM was 5% of the USA's Gross National Product and the thought of buying a popular car from outside the border was ---
well --- Redunkulous!
Anyway my first thought was, with GM's Saturn, Oldsmobile (manufactured first in 1901), Pontiac (originally known as an Oakland) and Hummer (Purchased from AMC) divisions gone I wonder what the next marketing concept might be.
It is interesting though as a hobby just exactly how far reaching the reputation of Buick actually is both historically and current in todays global market.
And how little it is credited with accomplishments here in this day and time.
But then again, Hudson had that type of recognition before it dissappeared in 1957.

Last edited by uncljohn; 02-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 AM

An update for the present.
My Mercruiser Motor is now in the present configuration. Assembled with a new Iskenderian dual pattern cam. Many aluminum, not all but many pieces polished, more to do.
The mounting brackets for drives and alternator have had the ugly trimmed out of them.
Paint color is an AMC engine color for late 70's, a catalysized Acrylic Enamal. I am still working on what engine mounts to use, am beginning to favor a hot rod universal mount and am beginning to take measurements to install in a 1976 AMC Hornet Sportabout, a Station Wagon. I have decided to use a 700R4 automatic with Lokar shift and a lock up Torque Converter. I will have Roadrunner build me a 2200 rpm unit. I am now on a quest to locate a used serviceable transmission. Other than an interferrance problem with the windshield wiper motor in the car caused by the Distributor, I don't really see a problem. Using an old style points distributor with the small cap should minimise interferrance. I was able to purchase a 1969 Distributor. A set of heavy duty points and an advance recurve should take care of pretty much every concern.

Attached Thumbnails Making Headway on my Engine project.-facebook-assembled-stage-1c.jpg   Making Headway on my Engine project.-facebook-assembled-stage-1b.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

that's a pretty engine stand, unc.

Seriously that looks damn pretty.

Are you on Facebook? (no way.....)

Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM

Purdy .............

Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

New update. I've been busy! I am making a cradle for a baby shower and that is time consuming, along with taxes this time of year.
But I scored a 1995 Camero LT1 T-Top car, not running. Immediatly traded for a 700R4 Transmission, torque converter, Flex plate, yoke, Muffin Style GM A/C compressor, a carburetor and some othe bits and pieces to install all this and my Mercruiser Marine engine in my 1976 Hornet Station Wagon.
I love it when a plan comes together.
I'll pick up the bits and pieces Friday! WooHoo!
And I am going to have to repaint the Clear Coat on my Saturn.
Dang