General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

07 Vue making sound when turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Default 07 Vue making sound when turning the wheel

Hi All,
I recently got a 2007 Vue.. I noticed that whenever the vechile is moving, I will hear a sound twice when I turn either left or right (first sound when turning the wheel, and second time when I turn it the other way). The best way I can describe it is having snapple caps popping, or two metal ends of the seat belts hitting each other. The sound is defintally coming from the front..

Here are two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrkyKf_Oco0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6FIVKYxAAI

Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 AM

That's weird. I can't really tell too much about it except that it sounds like your key chain hitting the plastic housing around the steering wheel. Try taking all of your keys off and just using your ignition key and see if you hear it. Too many keys can also help wear out the tumblers in your switch. The weight causes uneven wear on them.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the input, but when those videos were made/taken, I only had my key... I took off the all my other keys when I first heard that sound.. Do you think its worn from othe first owner having alot of keys on there key-ring..

Also I read somewhere that if I remove the kick panel I can adjust a bolt?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 PM

I doubt that it's a worn out switch as long as your key fits and starts it okay. Now if it's falling out and you're having to maneuver it around to get it to crank, then I'd say replace it. I don't see how removing a kick panel and finding a bolt would affect the switch, but I'm new to Saturns too. I'm guessing you meant a plastic panel under the steering column. The kick panels are on either side of the foot well. That may just be a broken piece of plastic that rubs when you turn the wheel. Have you done a good inspection of the plastic surrounding the steering wheel?