Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

2002 Sc2 Left front side making whew whew sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Default 2002 Sc2 Left front side making whew whew sound

It only happens sometimes. Nothing on the right hand side. Sounds like a whistle. When I tap on brakes it stops. Need front brake job? Or heavens forbid, something more serious.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Any way you could post a sound clip? If not, it may be a sticking brake caliper. I'd suggest pulling the wheel off and taking a look at the pads and rotor. If your caliper is sticking, one pad will be thinner than the other.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Thank. Good to hear from you again. I will do that. Going out of town for a few days. Will post when I get back.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 AM

My internet was out of service for a week. I'm no mechanic, so don't just go on my word that it's brake related. If it is though, you really don't need to put it off too long. Brakes can overheat and cause a fire if something locks up. And you sure don't want that to happen.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Chocolate,
There is part of the design of your brakes that has a squeaky thingy that rubs on the rotor if the brake pad gets to thin from wear. It is a signal that your breaks are almost ready to be replaced. As it is a squeaky thingy rather than some kind of visual it is a method to tell the owner or driver to have the brakes checked for wear.

Some times they work well other times they don't, they are not high tech. That may be what you are hearing. it sounds like it to me. But the point is something needs to be looked at before wear gets too great to repair easily. That also reads as cheaply.

Or as Ruby says, it might be a caliper hanging up. But in either case at the moment it ain't serious because you just started hearing it. Don't wait too long, things like that can get serious before you know it when it is ignored.

I had that happen to me on a road trip back east in 2010. I heard it start going south from NY State and heard it in Virgina. I bought parts in Georgia and fixed it when I got some where I could borrow tools in Florida.
I'd put a part in wrong when I changed the brakes the last time and it wore too fast but before it hurt anything I took care of it.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Warning clips on your brake pads do make an annoying sound ....

Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks everyone. The sound hasn't happened in 4 days, but I made an appt with my mechanic. He did my back brakes. Said he'd do my front too. Or at least take off tires and check everything out. Also, it hasss to be be brakes/pads, I've only changed once in 7 years. Not sure what a caliper is.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Chocolate,
It's 6:00 AM and I have been up for an hour. So don't laugh at me.
For an explanation of a caliper.
If you are doing dishes and pick up a dinner plate by the edge with one hand you are probably holding the dinner plate with your thumb and one finger and it is hanging down. The dinner plate can be though of as a rotor. It is round like one and your wheel is attached to it with the lug nuts. It rotates with your wheel as it turns. The caliper is your thumb and one finger. You are squeezing it to keep the dinner plate from falling or the rotor from turning..
The harder you squeeze the tighter your thumb and finger become keeping the dinner plate from falling or the rotor from turning.
If you relase the pressure the dinner plate will fall or the rotor turn.
If you don't quite release things completely the dinner plate will slip through your fingers (the caliper simulation). And when that happens things squeak a bit. When a caliper sticks the pressure does not quite release completely causing pre-mature brake wear and squeaky or whew whew noises.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

who knew unc did dishes?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 AM

You have to when you only have a service for one and you are out of paper plates!

Quick Reply: 2002 Sc2 Left front side making whew whew sound