Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Making Headway on my Engine project.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Talking Making Headway on my Engine project.

Today, I managed to make my Mercruiser V8 look more like a wanna-B Corvette motor.
I mounted new pulleys, smog pump, alternator, long water pump, power steering and all but 2 of the bracket pieces required to get everthing mounted. I'll need to fab an A/C bracket to use a Sandan compressor and figure out where to mount the other two pieces of brackets I have. It is a bit like a Chineese puzzle. I have 2 hands full of mounting hardware going through the nuts/bolts vibratory cleaner, they should come out like brand new.
Sand blast the brackets, pull the oil pan and check for internal (if any) problems, look for a 700R4 transmission and probably put it in my Hornet Wagon.
Actually this is kinda fun.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Sounds like the kinda fun I no longer want to enjoy.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Send pictures, UnclJohn ......

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Is that Mercruiser V8 a small block Chevy - possibly a 305 or 350? I have lots of small block Chevy parts if you need any.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like the fun I've always wanted to have....

Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned
Talking Bridges ???

Originally Posted by derf

Excuse me
Oh will you excuse me
I'm just trying to find the bridge... Has anybody seen the bridge?
(Have you seen the bridge?)
I ain't seen the bridge!
(Where's that confounded bridge?)
I dunno about you, Derf, but at my age, the bridge is in my mouth (both of them)

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Thumbs up Engine pictures.

As I have never used this feature before I am now curious as to how it will turn out.
In yellow, I have the Mercruiser V8 as off loaded from my van and placed on an engine stand. In reality is a 350 cu in Chevrolet 4 bolt main engine, I think anyway, I have not got the pan off yet and looked. The casting number says it is 87 through 93 generic, If it is in something, it is one of these. So much for number matching on restoration if you think of it.
In Silver it is now partially disguised as a Corvete Engine. Aluminum Valve covers (in need of polishing) block hugger headers, used almost new., and a belt drive mechanism from what might be a 1985 application 350 with tuned port, of course it might have been a 305 too, don't care. With Alternator, smog pump, power steering and a long water pump. The unused bracket is for GM A/C and I do not have all the bracket pieces but I want to use a Sanden compressor anyway so I will probably fabricate one.
Also an Edelbrock intake in need of polishing and a Carter AFB at about 625cfm.
Today I did pull the pan, but did not count main bearing bolts, I was more concerned about another problem now solved. Everything appears to be in good shape, needs a good cleaning and a replacement for the marine cam. It appears to be a flat tappet engine and that is o.k., A fone call Monday to Iskenderian will solve that problem and the back together with new gaskets, a bolt set or refurbished hardware and a Dupont overhaul of a metalic blue paint.
I just found out that I will be getting a free 1995 Camero with T-tops. Have not seen it, don't care, price is right. If a piece of junk I will get a free transmission, if half way decent I can sell it, if I want I can use it.
Free is a good price.

Attached Thumbnails Making Headway on my Engine project.-mercruiser-disguised-chevy.jpg   Making Headway on my Engine project.-chevrolet-engine-corvet-mock-up.jpg  

Last edited by uncljohn; 01-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

what kinda dog do you have? (off off topic)

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Hey Derf
How can you have an off topic subject on an off topic thread?
I have two, a brown one and a tan one.
Both about 10 years old now. The brown one might be a pit bull bix of some kind, don't know, don't care, we call her a Stafordshird Terrier Mix, about 35# , The tan one might be a Collie Mix, guess what we call her? She is about 50# now, a fat broad.
Both wonderful, friendly and I wouldn't be with out them.

Last edited by uncljohn; 02-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 AM

An update, my now wanna be Corvette engine is spread over the top of a table in little pieces and baskets of components. I am amazed at the condition, mostly excellent and appalled at some of the workmanship used to assemble it the last time it was put together. Fortunatly it has not been run since the last time it was put together because I believe it would not have stayed put together long, but that is another story. I'll buy an Iskenderian cam in the morning and then start cleaning out the block and the heads to get rid of contaminates that exist at the present and buy a new gasket set. And also prep it for a new metallic blue paint job and figure out how to polish the aluminum pieces. Any one done that. I could use some advice on polishing aluminum pieces and where to get materials. Although If I can't find them locally I'll try EastWood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making Headway on my Engine project.