General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

The plates are due, that means smog check

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Default The plates are due, that means smog check

No matter how many years I have lived in a state that requires smog checks and how many times I have gone through them pretty much with out a problem and including the number of modified cars I have tricked through smog checks, paranoia reigns supreme when I wait in line for my turn.
Dang.
I have to take my Saturn through in the morning. It has never failed, even when the Catalytic converter was bad. I see no reason why I should worry about it now.
I hate paranoia almost as much as a liver dinner.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

Your liver dinner will be much tastier if you smother your liver in onions when you cook it -- Bon Appitite!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

i hate liver but am quite interested in your emissions hijinxes (likely not a word) if you're willin' to share.....

Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM

All the onions in the world can not hide liver!
And I can't believe you are asking for another ramble.
I'll take some time at O-dark-30
The key is mostly (and there is one) to find out what is wanted and to be sure that you give it to them.
One of which is they want all 8 cylinders firing to pass smog. A pretty stiff cam generally fires random 5 of them at idle.
But
in the state I have lived in, an acceptable idle is defined as 1100 rpm. With an automatic transmission you have a problem as they generally check idle in gear thus loading the engine down. At 1100 rpm the engine is fighting the stock torque converter.
So a 2200 rpm stall torque converter is the ticket. A standard transmission is obviously in neutral.
Do you have any idea how much cam you can hide when an engine is properly tuned to idle at 1100 rpm?
LOTS
And my new engine, a Mercury Marine engine (yes a boat engine) will be installed in a 1975 car that the vin indicates does not need a catalytic converter, of course with a different engine and the rules do not dictate a visual for that year. Don't ask don't tell!!!!
So as long as the tail pipe measure o.k., the only part looked at, the smog dogs won't bite.
Find out what they want
and
give it too them.
It makes me happy and adds to the fun.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:25 AM

And the Saturn? Passed with flyin colors! Again. So I got home, filled out the paper work and sent it off complete with smog certificate -------
and remembered 8 hours later I forgot to include the payments---------------
dang!!!!