Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

1989 Honda Accord project

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 10:06 AM

I've asked for help on a couple of the Honda forums I frequent to see if I can get any help.
Maybe someone here would know too?

The internal diameter of the pulley appears to be stepped with the diameter of the section that goes over the camshaft being a larger dimension than the small part that doesn't.
Did it come from the factory this way?
Did someone bore it out for some dumb reason?
Is this is the wrong pulley for the engine?
Was the camshaft ground down making it loose now for the pulley?
What is the correct OD of the camshaft supposed to be? The ID of the pulley?

As far as searching online I can only find replacement cams (and only a few) but no pulleys at all.
If it's just the cam that's been ground down than I can buy a new one of those and be good but if the pulley needs replaced as well then I'm stumped as to where to get one.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

I am no help on Hondas. I have worked on a few over the years but only maintenance.
sorry

Old 10-25-2021, 03:56 PM

Small update:
It looks like I may have found two individuals who are willing to sell a cam and pulley combo for a good price.
Just remains to be seen if either of them can follow through and the parts are good.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:57 PM

Got a used cam and pulley. The pulley is NOT supposed to have a stepped internal diameter.
My guess is that the previous owner had installed it loosely and ran it for a while which wore out both the cam and pulley where they touched.
Now to do a cam swap which won't do anything for performance.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Except that your car will live!

Old 10-30-2021, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed your car will now perform ...... As you originally designed at the factory

Old 12-03-2021, 06:08 PM

Got the cam installed ok not long after my last post. Pulley fits much better on the "new" cam.
Got the new belt, new tensioner and dust cover installed.
Then work went crazy with the overtime and Saturdays combined with wife having health issues resulting in multiple dr. visits.
Finally got to work on this engine again today (it was a beautiful day for it - around 70 and sunny).
Plan was to pull the oil catch system, clean it up and check if it needs further service, then to finally replace the rear main seal.
The oil catch can was fine and all the seals looked really good so just cleaned it up and reinstalled it all. I did find that the wrong PCV valve was used so I will be replacing that before the engine goes back in.
As for the rear main seal...
My seal puller couldn't catch hold - seal was too hard. Ended up pulling the main cap and wrestled the seal off of there. The outer part of the seal stayed behind. Apparently some kind of hard, permanent gasket sealer was used to glue the seal in place. Spent about an hour carefully scraping the remains out of the bearing caps (motor was hanging from hoist so I had to hold it with one hand while using the razor knife with the other - tedious). By the time I finished that it was dark so I put the cap back on (will torque it later) and the oil pan and called it a night.
I'm starting to think that there's no part of this car that hasn't been messed with by the previous owner and not in a good way either.
I keep reminding myself that it did run and drive great and should do so again once I'm done. I just hope it doesn't end up taking until next year to get it back on the road.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:56 PM

"I just hope it doesn't end up taking until next year to get it back on the road."
ha ha ha ....
Well, it's "next year" now and I haven't made much progress since my last post.
Didn't help that I had to drop everything and do an emergency engine and tranny swap in our van a month or so ago.
And fix the roof that got damaged during some rough weather last week.
Work has been continuing to be crazy hours leaving me exhausted and done for by the time I get home.
I was hoping I could get something significant accomplished during my 4 day Easter holiday weekend.
After taking care of a bucket of honey do's I did start back working on this and managed to replace one hose and re-attach a couple of brackets Saturday.
Was reminded that several nuts and bolts fell down in the gravel (under the pallets that the car is sitting on) when I was taking things apart.
Missing a couple that I need to move forward. I'll have to see where I can get more.
It doesn't help that the factory shop manual doesn't consistently list the bolt lengths, only the thread size and type.
I've found a couple parts sites that will show that information but most of them show as out of stock (of course).
Knowing the exact specs of the bolts though will allow me to try some other sources.
I also see that some of the hoses that I had hoped to replace with stock bulk hose will need to have at least a 90 formed in it to prevent kinking.
Almost all of the hoses on this engine are shown as discontinued, out of stock.
I think I'll be looking around the junkyard for possible substitutes from something newer that I can still get parts for.
I figure if I can find a hose that has a bend with the right size hose on each side I can cut what I need out of it to fit the Honda.
Without any more long weekends for awhile and expected overtime and weekends from here until July, I get the feeling this car will have sat at least a year before I can get it on the road again.
Meanwhile the Saturn keeps going, sounding terrible but still going.
One of these days I'll give it the love that it needs.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

If you know what you need for heater hoses, ask to look at their hoses at the parts house. I often walk back and look through the hoses and find something that will work. Make a pattern with a piece of welding wire or an old coat hanger. You can also get a heater hose coupler if you need to flop a bend the other way. We all drive old cars with non existent parts. I even had to order front brake pads for my daughter’s 2000 Saturn LS1. None of the stores on the big Napa chain that I deal with stock front pads for my cars anymore. Overnight from the warehouse or drive to a distant ORiellys at 150% the price.