New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Saturn Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Banned
Default New Saturn Driver

Well for years 7 years now I've been a civic driver. The wife had a 2001 Saturn L100.

Well we just bought a Mustang as our weekend car and the idea was that we would drive our cars and save the stang for the weekend. Unfortunately somebody stole my civic shortly after, so now I am driving the wife's Saturn, thus I'm here.

It's not a pretty car, little old, a little rough as the wife didn't take care of it like she should have, the gas gauge doesn't work and neither does the odometer. All in all though, the AC blows cold, it runs just great, and gets me where I need to go every day. Almost 200,000 miles on it and still running strong.

Saturns don't seem to be too popular so I'm looking forward to a community that is primarily saturn drivers.

Name:  20140301_090052.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  140.0 KB

Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. I don't see anything wrong with the way the Saturn looks. It's proven to be a reliable car, it seems, so who cares what anyone else thinks? Your odometer problem is most likely just a stripped plastic gear that can be had off the internet fairly cheap. It's not that difficult to replace, you just have to take your time. There are a couple of youtube videos if you want to attempt this yourself. The gas gauge? If it's not a fuse, most likely a hole in the float or a loose ground wire on it.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Not to popular, the last one was built in 2010 along with, Hummer, SAAB, and Pontiac so I don't think you'll see any new ones popping up.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

welcome.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Welcome to the forum. I don't see anything wrong with the way the Saturn looks. It's proven to be a reliable car, it seems, so who cares what anyone else thinks? Your odometer problem is most likely just a stripped plastic gear that can be had off the internet fairly cheap. It's not that difficult to replace, you just have to take your time. There are a couple of youtube videos if you want to attempt this yourself. The gas gauge? If it's not a fuse, most likely a hole in the float or a loose ground wire on it.
I actually work at a Fiat dealership that was previously a Saturn dealership. Our head mechanic has been here for a decade so is a die hard Saturn fan/mechanic. I usually just have him once over my car. He said he is pretty sure my odometer problem is in the gauge cluster. You are correct about the gas gauge problem. Hole in the float.

I say the saturn looks rough because it has a TON of dings and dents on it. Plastic pieces on the inside breaking, and on the hood the clear coat has recently started peeling. I just buffed it and waxed it to minimize the clear coat peeling, but as we all know that's just prolonging the inevitable.

Originally Posted by sw2cam
Not to popular, the last one was built in 2010 along with, Hummer, SAAB, and Pontiac so I don't think you'll see any new ones popping up.
Very true

Originally Posted by derf
welcome.
Thank you

Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM

I know from first hand experience that the plastic gets very brittle in the gauge clusters. I took 3 apart and managed to break at least one clip on every one. The first one was 3 clips, second was one and third was 3! I replaced the small red gear in the odometers and managed to get two working clusters out of the three. I sold two to a former member here, he stiffed me and hasn't been back here or heard from since. But that's a story I won't get into here on the forum. I need to call him again this weekend and see if my check is still "sitting on the desk ready to go out in the mail". LOL

Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 PM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum.....go to the user cp top left of pages. Add your first name, location, and car to your signature.

Rube: PayPal brother......have been using it trouble free for years.

Last edited by RjION; 04-29-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 AM

No paypal for me, Rj. Got screwed by them several years ago and won't touch them now. It's personal and I hold a grudge for a LONG, LONG time! LOL From now on, it's money up front or no deals for me. I'm tired of it.