General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Driver side speakers stopped working 2000 Saturn LS2

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Default Driver side speakers stopped working 2000 Saturn LS2

First off taking off the door panel is a PAIN, haha. Long story short, I figured something was loose so I checked the radio and there's only 1 plug and its on there just fine, so I took off the door panel leading to the speaker and instead of the usual 2 wires i'm used to seeing, it was a plug there as well, and it was on just fine.

Then it hit me, when I forced all of the sound to play on the drivers side (balance or fade, one of those stereo settings) I could hear the faintest noise coming out of the rear back speakers.

It reminded me of when I would fiddle with the sound sometimes when I have something plugged into some other speakers and if its loose it'll start coming out of one speaker or sound very tiny and tinny and go out.

Earlier last year I had to take my car in because the alarm system plug suddenly came lose (and that little bugger fits in there really tight too) so now i'm wondering if there's a plug somewhere between the door and the console that came loose.

The thing is I have no idea where to look. I started to take apart the panel under the steering wheel but then I noticed there was another panel just chilling there with rivets and figured i wasted enough time on this and that I should start asking around.

Summary:

My driver side speakers don't work, and i checked the connections on the speakers themselves and the console and they are plugged in, however I fear the connection may be loose somewhere else and I don't know where to check.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 PM

I have a wiring diagram for that year and model. It however does not show the speaker connectors you are referring to at the door so if there are are others I can not determine. The diagrams refer to having an amplifier or not having an amplifier. That sounds like an optional radio feature. But other than that there is no left to right seperate components. The only connectors on the radio take all the wires and run them where they are supposed to go. If there is an amplifier, the radio conntector runs speaker out put to the amplifier and then a seperate connector from there fans out to the speakers. It sounds as if you have lost an output component in your radio or amplifier, rather than a loose connector some where. The last time my radio sounded like you are describing it was everything from the back dissappeared. Both speakers had turned into speaker junk requiring them to be replaced.
The speaker seperation curcuitry appears to be dedicated to the radio with the amplifier doing no more than amplifying the individual speaker channels.
Sorry, best help I can be.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Yeah, the one in the door I mean is an actual plug that just goes right into the speaker. I was thinking it'd be like the... er, i'm no electrician but i know speakers generally have 2 wires, and this one didn't, at least not in the conventional sense, but almost like a socket plug thing going on like you'd see with other computer components.

What do you mean by lost an output component though? And where would I find that? Or should I dig around my center console again and see if there's anything in there that might be loose or missing?

*edit*

And don't be sorry, I appreciate any help I can get at this point. The car is still under warranty a bit longer but I seriously don't wanna pay carmax 50 bucks to plug something back in.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Output component = something internal to the radio. Me thinks this is a good time to actually make use of the warranty if it is covered. Yup Yup, money can be tight, but this >could< get expensive quick which makes things even tighter.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Damn. If its not one thing its another. I wonder if there's a way to test it.

Oh well, either way Ty for your help. If anyone has any other advice on the matter than i'm all ears.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Oh yeah, just to clarify, I can still hear a tiny bit of sound in the back driver side speaker, so its not completely dead, which is why I think something is loose, but I just don't know where else the wires could be connecting. Does it say anything about wires running underneath the steering wheel to the door or what have you?