New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hey! Im new!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Default Hey! Im new!

I am very excited to get to talk to people that like these things! A few months ago I was able to buy my very first car of my own, although I had been driving a hand me down car for a few years before this. But this is mine. I purchased a green 2002 Saturn SL1 automatic with almost 150,000 miles on it for $500 dollars. No big issues! Other than some transmission problems like the reverse slam, but that seems like a common issue for these cars from what I have seen. I love this car and I hope to have it for awhile. I do all the maintenance myself and whats been done so far is all new fluids, oil filter, all new brakes, and a bunch of sensors. I also removed the spare tire because I only drive in town and have AAA. Oh yeah also on my way driving the car home one of the plastic wheel covers came off so I just ripped them all off and painted the steelies silver. reminds me of my grandpas old jaguar now lol. Anyway I have never used a forum before so let me know if I do anything wrong but most of your rules seem like common sense. In the future I want to do some mods to it like suspension, exhaust, engine and transmission swap. I will have a picture soon I'm just gonna edit my license plate before I post it.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Welcome!
I find this to be an excellent place to find and share information on these cars and I think you will too.
Be sure to follow the new member post and signature rules, (read the "Post or Gone" sticky) they're a little stricter than most but it works great to keep the spam and trolls down.

If you're having the reverse slam issue then you're going to have to address that quickly or you could end up with no reverse or 2nd gear like I did.
Totally fixable, in fact the ability to fix this in car is something I really like about the S series. Be sure to search the forum for the threads on this subject.

These cars are a little quirky and Saturn chose to think outside the box on several things but in my opinion it was mostly a good thing. I've put almost 100k miles on mine and I couldn't be happier.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:50 PM

Thank you!
Can you help direct me to where the information of the reverse slam shift is on the forum? I am unfamiliar with using a forum.
Sorry for the inconvenience
Edit: I may have found where it is but still unsure. I started a new thread under tech for it

Last edited by ForrestGump; 10-29-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Old 10-30-2017, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome

You can use the search function of the forum (in the black bar near the top of the screen to search for stuff although the search engine takes great pleasure in refusing to include common and short words, so enjoy
Please do make a signature like mine or Andy's. Let's us know what car you're talking about

Old 10-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Welcome to the forum, indeed. You can learn a lot about the S series cars here if that's your inclination.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome. Derf I tried making a signature but I am unsure on how to do that

Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

At top, black bar, rightish side "Quick links" dropdown>>edit signature