General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

They're Baaaaaaaccccckkkkk

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:10 PM

I checked the fuse just a minute ago, Unc. Not blown, but it did look a little dirty. I cleaned it up and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into the fuse hole. I'll drive it in a little while and see if it helps. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I didn't check the voltage to it, but I may do that later too. I appreciate your offer to help, but won't worry too much about it. It seems to come and go and I really need to get under the hood and just start checking and cleaning all of my connections. I'm thinking it's just something that's loose or dirty that I haven't found yet.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM

O.K. Ruby, not a problem though, if I can remember to sit and look things up. The error codes do seem to be functionally un-related based on what I looked at the last time and that has a tendency to point at an electrical problem with something common like a power source.

A quick look at the diagrams pointed at that fuse as a common supply for the power, but it should also cause other problems too. The 94 Saturn in the driveway while I have my name on the title is actually Valerie's and right after she bought it in 1996 we had a problem with the dash board cutting out. All of the displays while appearing analog are in truth digital displays converted by the dashboard to analog readings. When it quit, nothing worked at all. Except a couple of idiot lights.
It turned out to be a loose fuse that when you hit a bump hard enough joggled it causing it to loosen up and break an electrical connection. We were in L.A. the last time it happened and that was when Saturn actually went out of their way to provide customer friendly service. A dealer there did not fix it but it started working purely by accident and we got home with it working. The next time it quit back to a local dealer and it took them hours to find the loose fuse. Once tightened the thing never had another electrical problem if you don't count the moon roof. Age and heat have not done the plastic interior lights much good so they are iffy now but on the whole, a new paint job to replace my screwup paint job and it will almost look and run like new.