General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Re-ring engine while still in car

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Thank you for the information and the update. Please continue to keep us informed ...

Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 AM

Very cool! But, I'd change the oil and filter ASAP. I wouldn't wait. The thinned oil will not be a good idea to run. It could reduce the cushion on the rod or main bearings and cause one to seize.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM

This is in my opinion a very important experiment. It has been reported many times when a Saturn engine (and this is not restricted to Saturn but to many modern engines that have had a steady diet of light weight oil, tht oil consumption as a function of miles and time has been excessive. And when disassembled the pistons and rings are carboned up and stuck in their grooves. I my self have pulled many engines apart, well at least a half a dozen or so and never found that to be true unless from expected abuse.
That is defined as driven way to hard for way to long with a light weight oil.
What is a light weight oil? One that is recommended for winter use and then when summer came not changing it to a summer weight oil. A practice universally done up to the time some one said, light weight oil improves gasoline mileage and the engine will last long enough to get out of warranty using the stuff. This makes the feds happy that we are getting better gas mileage and as long as it gets through warranty we don't care.
Or something like that. Enter 0W-20 oil which means at zero degrees or lower this is fine. W = winter the second number = summer the result in my opinion is overheated engines in hot summers and excessive oil consumption as a function of miles.
I have seen both.
I also have seen using what used to be recommended viscosity having engines last almost for ever.
10W30 was pretty much standard used at that time and 100,00 miles was hardly broken in.
I use 20W50 in dinosaur oil and 15W50 Mobil 1 in my Chrysler. I live where it has been over 100 degrees for 3 months. The oil I choose to use fits the environment I live in according to the attached oil vs viscosity chart. My saturn uses no oil and I do not expect it to. When purchases as a 2 year old used car it was serviced using 10W30 oil and changed to 20W50 about 3 years later. I suggest what was accomplished was a hell of a good idea and probably is a solution to a lot of ills. A little crude but effective. I like it. Now pick a better oil to use. At a minimum a 10W30. At best do a throw back to back in the day and look at the oil chart and select something.

Attached Thumbnails Re-ring engine while still in car-oilvis.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks for that update. I have to remember that for the future. Is it still sold in marine stores?

uncljohn, where is Peoria?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by trike1946
Thanks for that update. I have to remember that for the future. Is it still sold in marine stores?

uncljohn, where is Peoria?
About 10 miles as the crow fly's North West of Phoenix AZ

Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
About 10 miles as the crow fly's North West of Phoenix AZ
I was out there visiting relatives. We went to one restaurant that cut everybody's ties off and hung them up. Another place had dollar bills all over the walls. We went to another restaurant that was like an old west town. And of course we did Sedona and Flagstaff and Tombstone. Loved it out there. My relatives live in Sun City.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

i'll pay 0.39 for a picture of unc in a tie.

Last edited by derf; 08-02-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM

My relatives live in Sun City.
=======================
Just down the road a piece. Not way too far from where I live.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Mine are in the older section I think. There is a Home Depot near them. If my kids and grandkids weren't here I would move there in a minute. Great place.

Sorry I seem to have hijacked the thread.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM

This is Eva89, I had to create a new user name.

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I keep getting banned for "inactivity". Apparently on this forum, if you don't post every thirty-two seconds, you get banned for "inactivity". I joined like three weeks ago and posted this thread immediately and try to keep updating, and this was the third time I was banned for "inactivity". Grrr! Is this a glitch or something? What's going on?

ANYWAY - five days on the road and the car hasn't used any oil yet and is still not smoking.

Trike1946 - Yes, the OMC Engine Tuner and Carbon Guard are still sold in marine stores.

UnclJohn - I was going to ask what weight oil I should use. I was considering 20W50 while it is still summer here. I live in northeastern PA, so winters are cold, but it's been in the 90's all summer long. I'm thinking 20W50 in summer, and 10W40 in winter.

I will watch oil consumption as the car is driven more and update everyone on how the car is doing....if I don't get banned again! Then I might have to change to yet another username to update again....

Quick Reply: Re-ring engine while still in car