General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

New to me-1994 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 AM

The plastic wall anchor idea actually sounds pretty good. Try gluing the wall anchor in place if you have to with the super glue Gel and I think there is one made by Permatix which is very thick. Once they set up then they can be used to screw in to. I have not looked to see where the seat belt mechanism goes so sitting here trying to recover and some times with a fuzzy memory I can not really imagine the parts location.
But the wall anchor things depend on contraction and changing shape to hold in place. If Glued in then you can use the dremel to cut off the screw to an appropriate length. That way depth of screw is not a problem. I guess I am lucky I have all those trim screws floating around.
Speaking of luck I just found out yesterday the heart attack I suffered in the Hospital was massive and my kidneys shut down and I was on my way out. I thought it was like that but did not know until yesterday. The only thing I knew was people were running around madly and I hurt like hell at the time.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Glad to hear that your were in the right place at the right time, Unc. Seems like your brain is functioning okay to me. I hope your heart and kidneys are keeping pace!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Another idea is to use velcro with sticky tape on each half. Install the velcro where the broken anchors are and just stick the panel back up. Might look better than screws. 3M makes good stuff.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Well, the wall anchors didn't work, so I just stuck the damn things back with some duct tape. I'll keep searching the junk yard for some good ones every time I go back now. At least my headliner turned out nice.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 AM

Dang! I was hoping the wall anchors would work. I can not use Velcro or any kind of tape, such as the 2 sided thick white stuff as the heat here is so high that the stuff would not stick. Just get hot, and it comes off leaving a goo deposit. Some where if they do not have 100 degree days (a new record this year set last week for the number of days over 100 degrees) as there is a prediction of over 100 degrees for the next week. That would make well over 1/3 of the year with temperatures that hot. I have used the 2 sided stuff to hold trim emblems on the body and they stayed probobly due to large flat surfaces. But anything that is molded and it has to support any kind of weight the stuff comes undone.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 AM

I think if I had a different type of wall anchor, that it would work, Unc. I tried the plastic ones that expand as you put a screw into them and they just spun in the hole. Now, I've seen some that look more like a solid piece of plastic that I will try if I can find them. The trick will be to find a proper size that I can "wedge" into the holes before putting the trim back up and trying the screw to see if it will tighten. I'm not going to give up on the idea, I'm just going to have to look at a different type of anchor. Looks like a trip to the hardware store may be in the near future.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Ruby, try gluing the anchor into the hole. I think the idea is sound, You can not use them in that type of application and expect the expansion to work but if you have or drill a hole in to hold them and use a Gel form of super glue that is thick and Permatex makes one, once that is hardened then you can use it to hold the screw used to hold the trim piece down, but you would have to cut the screw length to something quite short to make it work.