General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1994 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:15 PM

Hi All, I just purchased a 1994 SC2 with 89,000 miles on it for my nephew. Great little coupe but its a leaky little devil. Whenever it rains the floor gets wet in the back seat area. The PO told me he thinks its the sunroof. As the car is 12 years old i thought i would start by resealing the factory installed sunroof. Does anyone know the procedure to remove the Sunroof.

Thanks In advance

JP

Old 03-04-2007, 12:23 AM

First you find out whats leaking and where, the "PO" (who ever that might be) told you it might be the sunroof, but you have no idea where they leak or evan why they could leak but your ready to pull it out of the car.............and want someone on here to give you advice on how to do it and what tools you need.

PO is that your Parole Officer

Old 03-04-2007, 03:55 AM

SW2Cam, the PO (Previous Owner)is a good friend and Neighborof mine and the car belonged to his daughter before I purchased it for my Nephew. He tried to find the leak many times over the last few years (we have had many conversations about it),but was unable locate it. His daughters boyfriend also tried to findthe leakand could not figure out where it was coming from ( he prepares and races Rallye cars ) not thatit makes him a Leak Expert but he has excellent mechanical skills. My thinking was it would most likely be from the sunroof or the rear window as they both areinstalled with some type of Silicone sealer that could have become brittle and cracked over the years, there is no tell tale water trail that we could see, allthough the interior of the car was never ripped out (I would like to try and avoid that). I am still trying to locate the leak but thought I would try and get a little information ahead of time. I was thinking the sunroof would be the easier of the two suspects. If it turns out to be the Rear WindowI will take it to an Automotive glass shop as I do not want to tackle that procedure. If the procedure to seal the Sunroof is too complex I willtake it into the Glass shop for the repair also.

Thank You For The Encouragement [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

JP

Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Most likely your drains have become clogged. Thedrains have a strainer on them and after years they become clogged up. To verify that the drains are clogged open your sunroof and slowly with hose apply a light stream of water along the sides of the sunroof. Becarefull not to let the overflow into the inside of the car. You should see water comming out of the bottom of your car on all four conners (behind the fronts tires and in front of the rear tires). The stream coming out should be the same as your putting in.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM

Drains? I was not aware that sunroofs had drains. When I open the sunroof I will see holes for the drains? I am assuming there are tubes running inside the roof to the bottom of the car? If the drains are clogged are the strainers accessable? Or should I just try and blow compressed air through the drains? I wont be able to look at it until Saturday, when I look at it I will post what I found!

Thanks

JP

Old 03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by jpatte09

Drains? I was not aware that sunroofs had drains. When I open the sunroof I will see holes for the drains? I am assuming there are tubes running inside the roof to the bottom of the car? If the drains are clogged are the strainers accessable? Or should I just try and blow compressed air through the drains? I wont be able to look at it until Saturday, when I look at it I will post what I found!

Thanks

JP

Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Drains ............... there ya go. Low Saturn did for you by searching what you could have. Edited by: sw2cam

Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Leaky Sunroof Update,

I blew out the four drain holes with compressed air, used small diameter rubber fuel line on the end of my air nozzle. The rear holes were difficult to reach. Three of the lines cleared but the drivers side front drain does not seem to want to pass compressed air.

Low Saturn Thank You for posting the detailed pic of the drain system that is going to be a big help when I try to find were the remaining drain is clogged. Thanks Again

PS: I did do a search but did not find anything useful? Maybe it was the way I worded my search query? I posted only after coming up empty!

Thanks Again for all the helpful tips

Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Should have clicked on the link provided...............guess that you didn't see it.

Quick Reply: 1994 SC2