General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

New to me-1994 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Default New to me-1994 SC2

Hey Guys, I've got a question about the 94 SC2. Are the plastic pieces that cover the A-Pillar and top of the window a 94 year only piece? I looked at two 95 models yesterday and they don't have the automatic seat belts like the 94. One of the previous owners apparently was going to re-do or remove the headliner and broke all but one clip off the covers. I'd like to find another set, but do have an idea if I can't find some. Would the ones out of a four door work or would they be too short? I didn't think of that until after I got home yesterday and didn't want to make another 170 mile round trip to find out. I did find out that only a dash cap out of a 94 S series will work because they changed the location of the two bolts that hold it down to the dash. They're on the outside on the 94 and in 95, moved to the middle of the dash. On a bright side, the dash cap out of a four-door S series worked perfectly! So, I now have a new dash cap that isn't broken and nasty!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Wish I could help I know the 99sc2 is two pcs that connect at the top of the a post

Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM

91 may work 92-94 will work for the door plastic and any off the 2 door will work but not the sedan or wagon. 95 has the 2nd gen interior so not much will work for the interior.

when looking for parts 91 will have some slightly screwball parts but 92-94 is going to be fine with a majority of parts. Some parts you can interchange between coupe/sedan/wagon but not necessarily everything, namely plastics around the windows and the back seat various between the 3. 95 will likely work for body parts, subframe (94 only) can swap, and engine/trans can change over.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM

Ruby, I have a 94 and I really do not have a clue, sorry.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info, satrunsdn. And Unc, there is no reason for an apology. You have enough on your plate right now. I can and will go back to Pull-A-Part in the next couple of weeks and do some more "research" on my own! LOL I did meet a guy while I was there that works in a body shop and loaned him a few tools and helped him get some parts he needed. He told me if I supply the paint, that he will repaint the whole car for me for $200. I'm saving my cash right now and I'll be looking for paint in a few weeks.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Rube: Guessing auto seat belt cars only fit auto seat belt cars.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Yep, and unfortunately for me, the only ones with the automatic seat belts at Pull-A-Part are all sedans. I'm pretty ingenious and have come up with an idea to fix this problem. I'll let y'all know if it works out.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 PM

I know it sounds horrid, but if you use some long screws with a good finished head, you can pilot drill the a pillar and screw them tight. I would use that as a last resort. My 94 was ravaged by my little brother a long time ago when he installed a huge stereo that made the whole car rattle. The stereo is gone now, but all my a pillar trim just flops around. I am still looking for a fix instead of the screws, but since I have given the car to my dad, it doesn't bother me as bad.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 AM

Ruby,
Due to lack of being able to sleep (but getting better at the whole thing) I re-read the thread and understand better what you are looking for now. The window trim you are looking for snaps into things in the car. It is for me a problem here too in that my Saturn as well as it has been taken care of does sit in the driveway rather than the garage. This exposes the whole car to be damaged by the heat which can go as high as 118 and this year set a record number of days over 100 degrees and it works out to be close to 1/3 of the year and specifically the UV which caused all the plastic in the interior, specially those parts around the window to become dry and brittle. Any attempt to get things apart that snaps into each other leads to breakage. Unfortunately also the retractable seat belt, a feature I liked and came to prefer has proven to be problem prone an unreliable. At the moment mine still works (probably because it was used with care) and the drivers side was replaced once under warranty service. I cross my fingers every time I get into the car. That it will work correctly. How ever those trim pieces have had their snappy things broken off. Not completely but enough so that they are loose. Why? The heat an UV and also in the last 10 years I have had the moon roof serviced which required these pieces to be removed for access ( a dealer repair) and I have had the whole interior redone, head liner (damage from water due moon roof problems) and the seats, damaged by exposure to the sun. Of course doing the head liner again required those parts to be removable. As the car in all honesty is a bit small in the cabin, I have hit my head more than a bit getting into and out of the car.
This of course has not helped to extend he life of these parts, my head of course is hardly damaged.
Fast forward just a bit and having the windows tinted so the sun can not reach things as well and the tint is a UV blocker this will help extend the life of the now new upholstery and keeping on top of moon roof repairs keeps damage down from that area but all of the above does not repair the damaged plastic pieces that fit together.
I like the idea that DTruck1 has. It is in part the solution to re-doing interior pieces of the AMC cars I restore but they were built with screws holding things together. But I may take a look at incorporting the suggestion to have those screws installed in my 94 coupe to keep thing tight and resisting the tendency to break when getting in and out of the car. As to finding junk yard replacement parts? Anything in a yard has the same problem as mine due either sitting there in the sun OR lack of care by owners who used them as beaters as their life wound down. I have nice looking long trim screws used by AMC and I am sure with some care I can install trim hold down screws to do as Dtruck1 suggested and not get into the seat belt drive mechanism. `I am sure I will be forced to come to some conclusion due to those parts are required to be removed for service to the moon roof. They are all now very loose but have not progressed into the interior as to cosmetic damage. And I am trying very hard not to break things while using the car. Those parts are now made out of unobtainium. The seat belt cars are going to be the only ones found that you can use as a direct instal but the snappy parts are long since gone. At least in this area.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM

My idea is to take my dremmel and cut off the tabs from the trim and to use some plastic wall anchors in the holes where the tabs go and just to drill a hole in the trim and use the screws that come with the anchors. It may not look that great, but I'm pretty sure that will be better than having the trim flop all over the car. And my seat belts work just fine, Unc. It gets hot here in Tennessee too, as you well know, but we've had a relatively mild summer this year. Not all that many days in the upper 90's and NONE in triple digits! We do get to 100 usually a couple of days at least every summer, but lucked out this year. Any of you guys are welcome to try my idea if you like. I may actually get to try it today. Yesterday we had a LOT of rain and I wasn't able to get to it.

Quick Reply: New to me-1994 SC2