General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Grinding noise during cold mornings

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by george@gswi.com
Thanks for your words of wisdom uncjohn. I have been having Autozone perform diagnostics on my vehicles for the past several years and also purchasing auto parts from them during these years. This time I purchased an Ennova model 3140 scan tool from them to do my own diagnoses. All we know at this point is with the P0420 error code; there is an issue with the exhaust system.
As requested by Joe, I tried to upload photo of my VUE to my profile and I’m getting an error “upload of file failed”. The file specifications I’m trying to upload are 70x56 pixels and 16KB file size. Anyone know why this is happening here?
I believe that's the 02 sensor closest to the block. Can't remember if the vue has one or two sensors on the exhaust

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Default O2 Sensor on 2004 VUE

According to Haynes, the 2004 VUE has two O2 sensors. One near the block as you mentioned goaliemo and the second somewhere on the exhaust pipe down stream of the cat con.
Once again, many thanks for your input goaliemo

Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM

According to Haynes, the 2004 VUE has two O2 sensors. One near the block as you mentioned goaliemo and the second somewhere on the exhaust pipe down stream of the cat con.
Once again, many thanks for your input goaliemo

Indeed, I believe it is on the downpipe.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 AM

I’ll be looking into replacing the sensor as soon as I get some time to get to it. I understand it requires a special tool to remove and replace.
As for the check engine lights, when I turn on the ignition, I see all the trouble lights for a few seconds. This eliminates a blown fuse or burned-out bulb. So I guess, I’m back to the perhaps the dealer disabling this function.
Thanks for all your inputs goaliemo

Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM

I don't think it requires a special tool?
My Ion did that as well, and it was just the fuse.
No problem man.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:56 PM

He's probably referring to an O2 socket, Billy. Sometimes they come in handy, but aren't always needed George. They have a slot cut in the side of them to allow for the wire on the sensor. You can just disconnect the wire, soak it with some good penetrating oil and then use a box end wrench to remove it. If it doesn't move, put some vise grips on it. It won't matter if you mess the old one up anyway. Just be sure to use the proper size wrench when you put the new one in.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your input on the fuse goaliemo. There are two fuse blocks in my VUE. One block located inside the hood on the driver’s side. The second near the passenger side by the left knee. I visually checked all the fuses and did not see any blown one. I guess perhaps I should try to replace the one that controls the check engine light control as soon as I figure out which one. It seems to me that the controller would be a relay rather that a fuse. 50 years back, I used to repair most of my vehicles. With the vast number of computer and electronic components, I’m somewhat in a loss as to where to begin but I am learning a lot as I receive responses back from you all.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your input on the fuse goaliemo. There are two fuse blocks in my VUE. One block located inside the hood on the driver’s side. The second near the passenger side by the left knee. I visually checked all the fuses and did not see any blown one. I guess perhaps I should try to replace the one that controls the check engine light control as soon as I figure out which one. It seems to me that the controller would be a relay rather that a fuse. 50 years back, I used to repair most of my vehicles. With the vast number of computer and electronic components, I’m somewhat in a loss as to where to begin but I am learning a lot as I receive responses back from you all.
I want to say the fuse was the one that also did my front cigarette lighter/ac adapter.
I didnt realize it required a special wrench Charlie. I figured a pair of channel locks/vice grips would do.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Sorry goaliemo. The special tool I mentioned on one of my post is to remove and replace the O2 sensor and not the fuse. You are correct in your statement that the fuse can be handled with a pair of channel locks/vice grips. I’ll check and replace the fuse of the front cigarette lighter/ac adapter and see what developes. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:26 PM

Actually goaliemo, I have a dash cam plugged into my front cigarette lighter which is working and my cellphone charger in my back cigarette lighter which is also working. I assume this is an indication that the fuses for these devices are OK.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise during cold mornings