General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Grinding noise during cold mornings

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 AM

It could also just be a blown fuse

Old 03-23-2015, 05:12 AM

It could also just be a blown fuse….

Although I did not find any blown fuses to date, you may be absolutely correct. My comment on possible dealer disabling the check light feature was based on the failure in the part of them to fulfill the repair agreements and obligations they made prior to selling the VUE to me. I’ll double check the fuses.

Thanks for your input goaliemo

Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by george@gswi.com
It could also just be a blown fuse….

Although I did not find any blown fuses to date, you may be absolutely correct. My comment on possible dealer disabling the check light feature was based on the failure in the part of them to fulfill the repair agreements and obligations they made prior to selling the VUE to me. I’ll double check the fuses.

Thanks for your input goaliemo
Could be that, or the light is just out.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 AM

If you plan on using this forum go to the new member sub forum and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang. Take a few and fill out a signature. Put in your first name, location, and car. Find it top right, the drop down next to your user name.

When you get that done start posting add a photo of your Saturn. You want to get a minimum post count of 10 asap. Once you get 25 posts get a hold of me about an avatar.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM

If you plan on using this forum........
Sorry sw2cam I don't see the area you mention at the, the drop down next to my user name. I had to registered and introduce my self as a new member in order to post in this forum which I did few days ago. What is an avatar?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 PM

An avatar is the picture you see next to some of our usernames.

There is a littler arrow next to your username at the right side of the screen, click on that.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM

Move your icon to your user name. You should see several topics show up right below your name. The UserCP is the first one under your name. Click on it and follow procedure. If not, Joe will kick you off the forum. You seem like a nice guy that wants to stick around and get some help. So, just do as Joe has instructed and we'll go from there.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Thanks for your inputs goaliemo and Rubehayseed on Joe’s request. After receiving Joes post, I did go into my user CP section to check my profile. Except for the optional data, which I am choosing not to include, all other pertinent information to discuss and share information on this Saturn forum are given. As for the requested your first name, location, and car, I don’t see a place to include this under the user CP and those information were given when I registered in this forum. So folks, at 72, I am still confused on the request.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM

At 72? Dang, that is almost as old as I am, and believe me! This forum is full of guys and an occasional gal that gets things really confusing. But they are all o.k., here. You just don't want to tell them that too often!
Look, if you suspect some shenanigans from the dealer it would pay to get another opinion. Even if it is so much as stopping by an auto parts store such as O'Reilly's or Autozone where they advertise that they would read the error codes for you. Granted the counter person is not generally a very good mechanic, but they will read the error codes and give an opinion and they will be able to (in general) check to see if the error code light on the dash board is working.
Defeating that light is not the easiest thing to do and something as simple as a fuse is not a good way to go about it.
When you start your car, the dash board generally blinks all the lights and the error light should blink also. Look for it.
Some scan tools have the capability to do things like display dash board lights. And some don't.
These same auto parts stores will also have a "Self Help" section where a service manual for your Vue cam be purchased and while you may not want to do a lot of your own work, they are good reading and there usually is a section in them that would help in using your scan tool to do further testing.
I have had (over the years) three catalytic converters fail, and when they do the performance of the vehicle is lethargic, there is a tendency to run hot and some times there are noises from the failure mode that can be heard.
If your dealer already has not performed as agreed on when your car was purchased, you really need a second opinion. And in many cases an auto parts store counter person may know of a good mechanic in the area. They will have sold them a lot of parts.
Besides, it may be something like the autoparts store where I buy from, an O'Reilly's. There is a young girl there, cute as heck and very very good at the technical things around an automobile.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 AM

Thanks for your words of wisdom uncjohn. I have been having Autozone perform diagnostics on my vehicles for the past several years and also purchasing auto parts from them during these years. This time I purchased an Ennova model 3140 scan tool from them to do my own diagnoses. All we know at this point is with the P0420 error code; there is an issue with the exhaust system.
As requested by Joe, I tried to upload photo of my VUE to my profile and I’m getting an error “upload of file failed”. The file specifications I’m trying to upload are 70x56 pixels and 16KB file size. Anyone know why this is happening here?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise during cold mornings