Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Grinding noise during cold mornings (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/grinding-noise-during-cold-mornings-9917/)

george@gswi.com 03-19-2015 04:22 PM

Grinding noise during cold mornings

I have a 2004 Saturn VUE, 3.5 L, V6 (212 CI), AWD, with 164,000 miles that I purchased used in Michigan from a GM Dealer about a year back.
During cool weather, first time in the mornings, after starting the VUE and start to drive, it makes a rattling noise when it shifts. The noise is not there when the cars is parked and on idle. While driving, after the initial first, second and third shifts and after the system warms up, the noise goes away until the next morning or the vehicle cools down to cooler outdoor temperature. After starting the vehicle in the morning, if I let it idle for about 10 minutes before driving away, there is no noise and the vehicle handles as great as if nothing is wrong.
Any ideas as to what may be causing this issue? Four separate Mechanics checked it out but unable to determine the cause to this issue. However, they all ruled out that there are issues with engine or transmission.

goaliemo 03-21-2015 07:03 AM

Hows the fluid look?
Maybe its low.

Rubehayseed 03-21-2015 08:09 AM

Have you or they checked your belt tensioner or idler? IDK, I'm just guessing.

george@gswi.com 03-21-2015 08:15 AM

Hows the fluid look?
Maybe its low.
I’ve been keeping an eye on the Engine and Transmission oils regularly ever since I purchased the VUE and they are always at the full mark. The Engine uses about ½ quart between oil changes.
Thanks for your response

george@gswi.com 03-21-2015 08:25 AM

Have you or they checked your belt tensioner or idler? IDK, I'm just guessing.
To my knowledge, they did but I can’t be sure about this. I gave the Mechanics a written description of the issue which also states “The noise is not there when the cars is parked and on idle.” After the test drive, when they get back, they park the VUE, open the hood and tell me we heard the noise while driving but we are unable to hear it now. Unless we can hear it now, we cannot identify the problem.

Thanks for your response Rubehayseed

goaliemo 03-21-2015 08:21 PM

Or a tranny/motor mount may be going out or lose.
I'm just throwing ideas out now...

george@gswi.com 03-21-2015 09:57 PM

Or a tranny/motor mount may be going out or lose.
I'm just throwing ideas out now...

An interesting scenario goaliemo. I’ll have a mechanic look into this. If it is the motor mount, I wonder why the noise goes away after the vehicle or some component warms up. An important point I neglected to mention in my post. The dealer in their quote on the VUE had five separate items listed that they said they will fix. Brakes, Cat. Converter, Radio, LOF and front end alignment. After I picked up the vehicle, I discovered that they replaced the radio but the other four things were not fixed and I had to take the vehicle back to get it fixed. They said that they cleaned the Cat Converter when I asked them what was wrong withit. Now I’m wondering if some control of the Cat Converter may be causing this noise issue.
Thanks for your input goaliemo.

Rubehayseed 03-21-2015 10:17 PM

Generally, a clogged cat con can't legally be "cleared". If it's stopping up, it needs to be replaced. But if it were clogging, you'd have a power problem such as trying to accelerate and not picking up much speed. I would have said while trying to go up a hill, but I've been to Coral Gables and didn't see any hills when I was there! Someone is being lazy, and it isn't you. The "techs" wherever you got it, don't know diddly about cars. Proper diagonsis by a professional ASE certified mechanic is what you need to seek.

goaliemo 03-21-2015 10:18 PM

No problem.
Just a thought.
lemme know

george@gswi.com 03-22-2015 08:13 AM

Generally, a clogged cat con can't legally be "cleared"….

I am not having any lack of pickup issue with the VUE. If this is a Cat Con issue, I wondered why my check engine light is not coming on. I purchased a Ennova model 3140 scan tool and do a diagnostic on my own. I received an error code P0420. Thinking perhaps the GM dealer, after doing whatever they said they did with the Cat Con, I deleted the code, drove the VUE for a while and rechecked and the error code appeared again. Now I am wondering if the dealer disconnected the check engine feature prior to turning over the vehicle to me.
Thanks for your input Rubehayseed