General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Default engine problems

I took my car to the automotive for another issue and they came back and told me the coolant has been leaking into the engine. My coolant has been needing a refill (about once a month) (why i asked they check for the leak) My car only has only 80,000 mileage and is a 2006 saturn ion coupe. My mechanic told me that I need a new engine. At first he told me only the coolant was leaking in it then he said it was mixed with coolant and oil.

My car check engine light has never come on, my car has never overheated, and my car continues to work the same.

Does this sound like I need a new engine?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

no from your description sounds you need a new head gasket

and a new place to take your car for repairs

Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Not common for the ION's 2.2 to have blown headgasket or a bad head. Take the car to an authorized Saturn service center ie a local Chevy dealer. Get on the phone and call around.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 PM

It might be a good idea to ask questions about some form of warrentee that might be hidden on this engine. GM has a history of hidden warrentees and are in no hurry to tell a potential customer about them unless they ask. 'Specially on whom purchased the car used.
It is also altogether possible the coolant never got into the oil for if it had the oil would generally be a milky colored murky looking mess when the dip stick is pulled. Providing your is not one of the dipsticks kept in Washington. Also an engine that has a regular diet of water in the oil has a tendancy to make loud clanking noises just before pieces exit stage right through the side of the block leaving the freeway soaked with funny smelling stuff and the car in front of it all.
It sounds though to me, you need a new mechanic.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

I'm not sure how the powertrain warranty reads, but you might need to look at it closely. --> It covered the new engine for my Aura- XE