General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1997 SL2 Air Bag questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Default 1997 SL2 Air Bag questions

I choose to start a new thread since this is a different set of questions than the ones about the check engine light.

But first I have to ask, why is I am having such difficultly locating a factory manual for a Saturn SL2?

I have been on ebay and have found ones up to 1996 then I find ones for 1998 and later, but so far have not had good success locating one for 1997. Was this some sort of odd year when they were trying many different things or what?

I mean even my haynes manual that came with the car shows electrical schematics and more details of this automobile up till 1996.

So now for the big question concerning air bags. THis much I know, on passenger side there is an air bag, on driver steering column there is an air bag, and under neath the console where the emergency brake and shifter are is the air bag computer.

But the big question that I do not seem to find answer for is what is tied to the computer so that the computer knows when to deploy the air bags?

In one chapter in the haynes manual is states there was in use sensors on the front bumper, in another section is says that was discontinued and they use the speed sensors from the wheel, and yet in another section it states that it deduced speed from the transmission. So I am confused as to what was used, when it was used, and how it was used. This of course is why I am looking for a 1997 Shop Manual so I can finally figure some things out. And it is also why I am posting this on here and hoping someone can help me figure it out.

If they uses sensors on the bumpers where are the sensors?

Funny think is looking on ebay for saturn air bags shows air bag sensors for early Saturn SL units, shows current ones for like the VUE and other makes, but everything seems to skip 1997 SL2. So can anyone help straighten out the confusion, PLEASE???

Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

try posting in www.saturnfans.com

there are some wicked techy dudes on the forum -- including former saturn techs-- they may be able to answer the questions that we cannot

Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM

The sensors are inside the module that is under the console. Is your check airbag light on?

Last edited by hoseppi; 08-24-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Once I replaced the blown bulbs in my instrument cluster, yes the airbag light, check engine light, and the service with wrench symbol light all are now working. And yes the airbag did flash 7 times then stay on. Found the problem with it was the connector that pluged into the airbag on the steering column. I have now replaced that plug and the airbag system seems to be functioning just as stated in the user manual. The light flashes 7 times them goes out and my scanner says there is no problems with airbag computer.

Now if I could only figure out what is causing the stupid light, service with wrench symbol to stay on, then I would be most happy.

The only thing I have been able to read about this stupid light is that it will be illuminated for any non emission related issues.

Here is a question that is off topic for this posting. I am hoping someone might read it and be able to answer it. On the 97 Saturn SL2, is there only one temp sensor or is there more than one?

I ask that because a friend of mine says he is pretty sure there are two, one that feeds the computer the temp of the engine so it knows when to turn on the cooling fan, and one to supply the dash board. But a mechanic friend of mine says he is sure that there is only one, and this it supplies the information to the computer which in turn feeds the information to the dash board.

The whole reason why I ask this question is it seems like during normal running my cooling fan does not work, but yet when I turn on the A/C the cooling fan works.

Thanks again to all the people in the forum.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 AM

On the 97 there is only one ECTS. 95 and prior years had 2. Your cooling fan usually comes on at 3/4 scale or whenever the AC is on. The only time I've seen the wrench light come on is when the normal check engine light was burnt out.

Last edited by hoseppi; 08-24-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM

@hoseppi - So you are sure and confident that there is only one temp sensor?

So then that would mean that this temp sensor goes to the main computer and then the computer controls the temp gage on the instument cluster?

If the above statements are true, then what would cause the fan to turn on when the A/C is turned on, but not to come on when the temp gage reaches 3/4?

COuld this be a problem that would turn on the light 'Service' with the wrench symbol?

Maybe it could be associated with the fact that the temp probes are mass produced and maybe I have one that is not relaying proper information. So if anyone on here happens to have a shop manual for a 97 Saturn SL2, can they look inside the shop manual and see what the resistance values should be for testing this temp probe?

Thanks again to all who are on this site.