General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

air bag problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

i have a 95 sl1 the first year with the dual air bags.. i removed the dirvers air bad and was carefull to not damage the module or the wires. i had to remove it to replace a horn button. when i put it back in and turned the ignition on the air bag light flashed eleven times and stayed on steady.. i removed the air bag module again and made sure it was connected right. it wasnt the wires wherent all the way in so i put it in correctly and put it back together again... then turned the ignition back on..

again the light flashed eleven times and then stayed on steady... the light did one time flash about five times once when i turned a corner but i havet had any problems sice.. normaly it flashes a couple times then goes off like normal on start up... i tried unhooking the bettery for two to three hours then hooked it back up... and still flashed and stayed on steady...

what is wrong?? is it because i turned the ignition on without the air bag module pluged it??? please help me.. i like having air bags ive had one go off before in an accident and it saved me a trip to the hospital...

Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 AM

I'll have to check the service manual on this one. I've removed my airbag on my 1995, turned on the ignition and even drove the car and never had this issue.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:16 PM

i was wrong it flashes 17 times and then stays on steady not 11... but now that i tihnk of it that same day i had to remove the top of the dash to get the gauses out to replace a burnet out bulb.. and ther are some wires on the top of the dash on the inside.. is it possible i unhooked the passenger air bag by mistake and not realized it??

Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 95_sl1
i was wrong it flashes 17 times and then stays on steady not 11... but now that i tihnk of it that same day i had to remove the top of the dash to get the gauses out to replace a burnet out bulb.. and ther are some wires on the top of the dash on the inside.. is it possible i unhooked the passenger air bag by mistake and not realized it??
Anything is possible. Pop that cover off and take a look.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 PM

ok so toady i removed the top of the dash again and it was pluged in.. but when i unpluged it. the light did the same thing.. and when i removed the drivers air bad and unpluged it the light just stayed on.. basically what im saying is that the passenger air bag being pluged in or not does not affect the light.. so could here be a short in it or something?? should i try another air bag module?? and with the light on will the air bags deploy if i get in a wreck??

Old 05-10-2008, 01:48 AM

hey.. is there anyway to check the vin and the serial numbers on the air bag modules to see if they have been replaced?? i have the vin and the air bag numbers if yo could check for me.. or tell me what i could do... as far as i know the dealer cant pull up any info on cars older that 10 years.. but that was on the recall info... idk if they could do this. but here are the numbers if you can check them... but dont go to any trouble over it...

vin: 1G8ZG528XSZ192622
driver module: AB9991IYOCZA06
pass module : *AL0085ICC1297126*

the pass number had those stars... idk if it maters im sure it doesnt but hey whatever.. and im guessing they have never been replaced because there is no visible repair on the frame and the pass air bag has an oct 1994 manf date on it.. but it still could be out of another 95.. or even a 96? maybe... well let me know... thanx!!Edited by: 95_sl1