General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM

now i have a new problem as i slow down for stops with automatic trans the rpms jump up what should i check first no codes

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Default trans problem

had codes of 2nd and 3rd gear ratio wrong what controls this

Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Oa? Oa?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

Well, sounds like the motor has been gone through enough to get the common problems -- let's look elsewhere. First place I'd go would be to have a transmission service run (flush, filter and fill).

Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Default new problem

trans acting funny with shifting has code P0733

Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM

O.k, this is a definition of a P0733, Circuit Description;
PCM applies 3rd gear clutch by opening ground ckt of 3rd line actuator. PCM also controls hydraulic pressure to 3rd gear clutch. If PCM detects 3rd Gear clutch slipping, PCM will increase line pressure. If clutch is still slipping, PCM will set DTC P0733
I don’t know how comfortable you are dealing with automatic transmissions. I am not that comfortable with them myself.
You need some form of a service manual to deal with this and you should be able to by something adequate at your local auto parts store.
Your car is high mileage so wear and tear is to be expected and the transmission probably needs some service, such as oil and filter change. If so, than I would recommend that it be done at this point in time. While I am not a fan of automotive fix it in a can, Lucas additives have done wonders for me and I would suggest that if you change the fluid and filter, that a can of automatic transmission additive be included. This could be an electrical problem due to corroded connectors so unplugging and plugging connectors are in order and the use of an electrical connector grease be used at this time.
It appears that there are both sensors and control actuators involved in the operation of the transmission at this point in time and a failure of either could be a cause along with mechanical wear and tear which would require a rebuilt.
I don’t know what to suggest that is a positive fix. Getting lucky with a connector problem and a fluid change would make me happy at this point in time because frankly as the car is a high mileage 12 year old orphan requiring what may be an expensive repair, it just might not be worth spending the money on.
Mind you, I just spent $1500.00 and about 100 hours on my 94 doing paint, mechanical repairs and upholstery work. It makes no sense but I like the car and it came out the other side in excellent shape which made it worth it. It could have just as easily been a waste of time and money.