General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

01 Saturn Coupe brake light problem

Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Default 01 Saturn Coupe brake light problem

As stated above, I've got a Saturn 01 Coupe that the brake lights do not work. I checked the fuses and the only fuse I can find for the brakes is a 15amp fuse located in fuse box under the hood. that fuse is ok. When I remove the brake fuse and reinstall, I do notice a very small spark like there is power flowing thru the fuse and I'm breaking/making the electrical connection with the fuse. Next, I bought a new brake switch and installed that. Now, when I say install, I haven't physically mounted the switch due to the difficulty of location. I've removed the old switch and hook the wiring connectors to the new switch and left it hanging temporarily. As is, the switch is not pressed so the lights should be on, but they are not, and pressing and depressing the switch does not turn on and off the lights.
I've checked the bulbs just by chance that all the were blown, but they seem to be fine. I've started looking at the wiring in the trunk to make sure something isn't disconnected or got cut but cannot find anything. I've got a voltmeter but that's a lot of wires and I have no wiring diagram/color code to go by. Am I missing something? Is there some other component like a relay or another fuse I can check?

Hazzard lights work, turn signals work, night lights work, just no brake lights.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 AM

At the brake light switch;
Orange wire (A) 12 volt in from 15 amp fuse.
Pins D, B and C are connected internally to each other at the switch
Light Blue Wire Pin D to Center mounted Stop Light
Light Blue Wire Pin B to the Anti-lock brake system
Light Blue Wire Pin C to both Rear Brake lights which are 1/2 of the filament of dual filament bulb for tail lights.
It is possible that one of the three items connected to the brake switch itself is in a failure mode drawing excessive power drawing voltage down leaving not enough to power brake lights.
If Center lights come on but not tail lights brake lights do not, both bulbs are blown on the lights.
In automotive trouble shooting electrical problems, wierd is the norm.
See what your meter tells you now and where those readings lead you.
There are other related possibilities too but this should give enough information to learn something from meter readings.

Last edited by uncljohn; 06-02-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks uncljohn, I'll check it tonight.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM

I figured it out. The problem was in the fuse box itself. It seems the plug or receptacle that the fuse plugs into has a bad connection. I thought at first the plug or blades of the fuse were oxidized, but cleaning didn't cure the problem. I just happened to notice that when I plug the fuse in, it was arc ever so slightly. With the brake switch hanging freely, this would very quickly allow current to flow to the brake lights in question. I happen to see out of the corner of my eye that they would come on briefly. I used a small flat head screwdriver to close the fuse connector up and it seems to be working. I wasn't able to gain access to the fuse box itself from underneath to see what the entire problem is though. at least I have a partial solution for now and will work from there. thanks again for the help!