General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1999 SL2 Front End Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Banned
Default 1999 SL2 Front End Parts

Hello All: This is my first post so PLEASE forgive any newbie mistakes. I just bought my first saturn 1999 SL2 Automatic. 83,000 miles in beautiful condition. I want to start off with a great baseline as I will be putting around 800 miles a week on this little beauty. New York City roads are destroyed and I want to give myself, all front end, drive line and suspension parts a fighting chance of survival. I am a mechanic by trade and can tackle any project no problem. What I can't tolerate is garbage quality aftermarket parts at any price!! I plan to immediately replace both CV shafts (with ABS), lower control arms, front sway bar bushings, front struts and engine mounts. Can anyone PLEASE recommend quality replacement parts? I like to do a quality job once! I have found that there is no economy in installing economy parts!!!! Who wants to do the same job a second or third time, or even worse, risk your life or the life of a fellow human being, just to save a dollar!!!! Not me!!!! Thank you all in advance for your help. Part by manufacturer PLEASE. I don't care about price. I only care about quality and reliability!!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm an OEM guy for most Saturn parts. AC Delco
Engine Mounts (Tranny mount may help too)
LCA's
CV shafts ( I have never replaced) (if available)
sway bar bushings (if available)

Struts: KYB GR-2 rear = same stiffness as stock, front 20% stiffer than stock. Rear install SUCKS as the upper strut mounts are inside the cabin where it meets the base of the rear window)

Parts Sources

Rockauto.com : If they no longer stock the AC Delco part, you MIGHT find it somewhere esle but don't hold your breath

Partstrain.com: Surprises me, does carry some AC Delco no longer at RockAuto

Partsgeek.com:

gmpartsdirect.co and similar sites

Electronics: I have been told by several people that NAPA's Echlin line is better than the rest of the AutoBlows

Be prepared to lose 2nd gear, reverse, experience reverse slam, etc. Auto tranny is weak part of the S series. Input shaft nut works loose, Valvebody issues. Might want to pick up a rebuilt valve body off ebay so that you are prepared (if you plan to keep the car)

I stay away from Airtex/Wells, Dorman, Dura-anything, unless I have no choice.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Banned

Thank you brother for your swift response!!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I believe in preventative maintenance all the time. Enough idiots in this world drive past the last gas station when on "E" and then are completely blindsided when the car runs out of gas!!! Hahaha!
Thank you!!!

Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Banned

It was a wet night here in NY and the steering on my newly aquired used 1999 SL2 was, lets say.... "Less than crisp". Is this indicative of worn lower control arm to frame bushings?, and/or, worn sway bar to lower control arm bushings??. This is a well designed and engineered little car for the price!! Very inexpensive and easy to replace worn out parts, BEFORE they fail. I believe preventative maintenance on my schedule, is always better than crisis management, when critical parts fail. (and possibly there is life on the line)
FWD components, CV Joints, Front End Control Arms, Sway Bar Bushings, are catastrophic failure items if and when they fail. Very cheap insurance and peace of mind to replace today!!! Precaution = safety. Just my 2 cents...your mileage may vary!!!

Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

reasonably stupid question to ask a mechanic but what tires are you on (incl size) and how much tread is left % wise? I used to LOVE the OLD Firehawk FTAs that came with the car. Could take 20 mph turns at 50 w no tire squeal, no walking. I don't know how that went after 97 when the cars started getting heavier, but it was fun. Unfortunately the car outlived the tire!

Old 06-19-2016, 12:21 AM

My 94 is still under or around 100,000 miles and is a 2nd owner car. It has not needed a whole lot of parts but I have been able to purchase from parts from a local Chevy dealer that actually advertises the ability, Rock Auto, NAPA and CARQUEST both of which have an excellent vintage car inventory and the ability to look things up and O'Reilly. I actually have had good luck with Dorman parts and look for them specifically if needing things they carry.
I do however, will not use 87 octane gasoline unless I want to wash parts or kill weeds and will not use an oil that starts out with the number 5 unless the temperature is well below zero for longer than a half an hour. Which here in Arizona only happens on a rare day and then around sunrise.