Wiper Controller (cannot find a replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Oh for ****s sake I don't want to take my effing dash apart again, not in the dead of winter with 28-year-old plastic.

Sorry for your loss (blood).

Remind me to get a Kevlar glove

Old 01-15-2023, 08:12 AM

Or a transfusion?

Old 01-15-2023, 12:19 PM

yep there are two bolts that hold down the dash and then it pops out. the heater duct has two bolts and two clips holding it in place. the clips are easier to get to by going in from under the dash. then the two bolts holding the motor are behind some barrier material. I think you can slid off the module without taking the dash apart if your hands are small enough. Two clip hold it to the frame of the wiper motor mount is all that hold it in place.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the logistical information. I'm replacing the motor and controller since the controllers are in fact difficult to find unless they are paired with new remanufactured or original wiper motor parts.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Thank you for the logistical information. I'm replacing the motor and controller since the controllers are in fact difficult to find unless they are paired with new remanufactured or original wiper motor parts.
Hi derf,
Yeah, that would be prudent as i have already bought a new motor and am just looking for a controller. I live in Sacramento and the wrecker in my area appear to be picked clean.

Thanks
Steve

Old 01-16-2023, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would say be weary of a controller grabbed from a vehicle that has been sitting outside for who knows how long exposed to the elements. My 95 SC2 has not been garaged for the last 15 years. It is only recently that the wipers have started to act up and usually only when and has been raining, snowing, or humid outside recently. I assume the control board is corroded. I will try to resuscitate to keep as a spare, but it's much easier and sort of guaranteed to work with a brand new controller. 55 bucks for the motor with controller. No I didn't want to spend it. Yes I want to be able to drive it in the rain and as of late when it's dry without the wipers going. I would recommend you bite the bullet as you don't know what you're getting from a yard. I am always especially theory of electronic parts from yards if for no other reason than you don't know what they've been through. This one's been out in the elements so it makes it that much more risky. Yes it is covered but you know what I mean

Old 01-16-2023, 01:09 PM

You are absolutely right! The new motor controller combo online has only one plug on it. My controller unit has two plugs. I already bought a new motor and now just need a controller that has two plugs rather than one like the replacement part that is currently on Amazon.

Here is the replacement motor controller combo i was referred . One plug

Amazon Amazon

My controller is a BOSCH (GM) 21303659

From my research they stopped making the controller CIRCA 2010, so it appears that wrecking yard is my only option. I wish (since it is GM), i could find another compatible controller that is made for another vehicle.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

That's bizarre. I know they changed something in 2000 that makes them incompatible w the the earlier ones but I don't know what it is.. I wonder If you changed out the stalk and the circuit board inside the multifunction switch if you could use an older motor that uses just the one connection. That's a total longshot, but if power and ground connect the same way, and the output is fed out the same way, there is at least one rat's *** chance in hell It could work. Of course, it could be that it has something to do with being around and through the BCM, something the S cars did not have until third generation starting in 2000 in which case everything I just said should be thoroughly ignored.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like the switch is the same for all years. The motors do change in 2000-2002, so there must be a stand alone controller. What a pain!
Did ever tell you what I think about BCMs? Never mind. How about built in non replaceable relays and fuses. AH!

Old 01-17-2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by derf
That's bizarre. I know they changed something in 2000 that makes them incompatible w the the earlier ones but I don't know what it is.. I wonder If you changed out the stalk and the circuit board inside the multifunction switch if you could use an older motor that uses just the one connection. That's a total longshot, but if power and ground connect the same way, and the output is fed out the same way, there is at least one rat's *** chance in hell It could work. Of course, it could be that it has something to do with being around and through the BCM, something the S cars did not have until third generation starting in 2000 in which case everything I just said should be thoroughly ignored.
Yeah, it is a pain! I actually found one yesterday at a wrecking yard about an hour and a half away! Don't know if it works yet so we will see. You would think since it is a GM vehicle, there would be a compatible replacement. I think i'll also look for another one just for insurance.

Thank you everyone for the input, I'll let you guys know if it works...

SG

Quick Reply: Wiper Controller (cannot find a replacement)