Old 09-08-2020, 08:41 AM

I ran the cylinder monitors and found these results for cylinder# 5

Misfire Cyl 5
MAX 0 cnts
MEAS 21 cnts
MIN 0 cnts
STS: HI(gh)

Old 09-08-2020, 08:44 AM

So, what I get from this data is the Bank 2 cat is reading low and I now have a misfire in cylinder 5. I didn't have that after changing out the plugs and coils, but now I do. As far as the B2 cat; does the low result indicate a clogged cat?

Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 AM

So, I got new cats for both banks back in October; just haven't installed them yet. I have a couple more months before my Aunt's inspection; so hopefully I will have a warm weekend to install them. I've already soaked the heat shield and collector bolts twice since November. I know I will need to do this more often as the install date approaches. On a related note; I am doing this for my '05 Grand Marquis as well; as I will be installing long tubes and a full custom exhaust next summer/fall.

I just got catch cans for both my Grand Marquis and my Mom's Explorer. I noticed with the Amazon cans I got; that the instructions say to uninstall the catch cans during the winter months. My other cans that I put on both the Vue and my Crown Vic project car, didn't mention this at all in the instructions. I drained a little oil out in November when it first started getting cold. Now I'm concerned that I needed to do that more often. Hopefully, the next time I see my Aunt, her catch can isn't frozen.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

I believe you mean get very high in viscosity, no? If the oil actually froze at any temperature, your engine would be in for a bad surprise. Not picking at your words, just trying to understand. I have never used catch cans so I am sufficiently ignorant on the topic but am trying to learn based on your project.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:55 PM

I've thought about this a bit. I think the warning is for condensation that might accumulate in the can during colder weather. That is my guesstimate; as I couldn't think of anything else that would freeze. Based on my (limited) experience; my Fords (especially the Crown Vic) seem to always have the milkshake on the dipstick when outside temps dip below freezing. I've not noticed it on the Vue's dipstick though. When she comes over next time; I will run out there and see what comes out of the catch can when I empty it.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reasonable explanation.

I believe the older Volvos would develop a layer of condensation somehow when the engine cooled down. You would have a tiny mixing of water above the oil, but if you ran the vehicle to operating temperature, turned it off, and checked the oil, it was no longer present.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:44 AM

Perhaps the older cars ran at a lower temperature. I should look that up. My Grand Marquis doesn't have that milkshake effect; and my '82 C20 doesn't have it either; but that is carb'd and it has over 600k on the odometer.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:41 PM

So, I just checked her car and the catch can is indeed clogged with frozen condensation. I will have to dig out the spare pcv tube and replace it for now. Then reinstall it during the warmer weather. At least I have confirmation that the Amazon can's instructions are right about that.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:15 PM

Okay, I put back the stock pcv hose; but I had to cut the replacement hose because it didn't come with the pcv valve; just the hard tubing and the boot on the engine block side of the tube. But; now if I need to; I can change the stock tube with any catch can in 5 minutes. When the catch can thaws out, I will empty it out, and clean it as there is some oil on the outside of the glass and aluminum part. I will decide if I really want to use it again; or just get another catch can; we'll see. I would post a pic; but I am no longer able to do so it seems..........

Old 02-07-2021, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

People with iPhones seem to have an issue with posting pictures. Post it from your computer

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can for '08 Vue with 3.6L V6