Interchangable transmission or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 AM

I have succeeded in converting my 04 Vue into a fully functional 5 speed. Been driving it for a while know. Sorry to have forgotten to post an update. Everything bolts right up with exception to having to drill three holes in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder. They were simple to locate where to drill due to there being circles for the mount bolt holes for the cylinder on the automatic transmission equipped Vue firewall.

Transmission was out of a 03 Saturn Vue but I would say that any year Vue would work as long as the transmission came off the back of a 2.2 Liter 4 cylinder engine.

List of required components:
"Don't forget to keep all of the hardware when acquiring the following parts"
1. 5 speed transmission complete with flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and all transmission mounts including the one inside the frame on the top of the tranny.
2. Center console shifter assembly complete with shift cables, trim piece which surrounds the shifter which holes the shift boot.
3. Clutch and Brake pedal and bracket assemblies with mounting hardware and clip for the brake master cylinder linkage.
4. Clutch master cylinder including hose / pipe line which runs from master cylinder to slave cylinder on bell housing.
5. Engine wiring harness. Remove automatic harness and transmission control computer. Engine computers are the same. Plug and play.

If you buy all these parts at a place like pull a part you can do this conversion fairly cheaply. Lots of labor, but fairly cheap.

The only issue which I had initially:
1. There was no neutral safety for starting. All I did to fix this was to run two 14 gage wires from the switch on the clutch pedal and spliced into the small wire on the starter thus interrupting the start signal to the starter unless the clutch pedal is depressed.
2. The "reduced power" light and "service engine soon / "check engine"" light stayed on. I immediately and several times since starting to run and drive the Vue I have hooked up my scanner to the vehicle and there are never any codes.

The Vue runs and drives great!

Last edited by blaisa; 08-24-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Default Af23 swap in progress but I need the wiring diagram

Originally Posted by derf
I would not advise going with another CVT in there. You will end up with the same issues eventually. Most people do a swap to the AF23 transmission.

I don't think anyone on this site has completed it such a swap (hence the lack of responses) but I know there are details of said swap on other Saturn sites. I believe there are some small mods.

The CVT to AF23 swap has been done successfully on Ions and Vues with the ecotec-- you just need to know how to do it.

PM me for more info.
I'm needing a diagram for a cvt transmission and a af23 5spd anychance you would know where I could get them

Old 09-12-2020, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

What year and model is donor AF23 from?
What year is the Vue into which you are swapping it

Some interesting information at the attached link below. Has to do with using different harnesses to make it easier and someone actually included pictures of splices though I don't know if they are still available. You will have to join the site to see any of the pictures or view any of the attachments.

Hopefully you labeled what each of the wires were when you disconnected a transmission harness of the vti. I'm confident there are other articles on Saturn fans about this swap. The one below is just the one I found first and opened.

ANYONE swapped a VTi for an AF23 in a VUE? - Page 4 - SaturnFans.com Forums