Interchangable transmission or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Default Interchangable transmission or not?

I have found a 2003 Ion with an VTI transmission and I was wondering if it will be a direct replacement for the VTI transmission in my 2004 Vue.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Does anyone know what models and year groups I should be looking for to find a replacement transmission?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM

If you have a junkyard nearby, check with them and see if they have a Hollanders exchange manual. That should tell you. Is yours an AWD or 2WD? If it's 2WD, according to pull a part interchange the 03 should interchange with an 04. BUT, I'd call autozone or advance or whoever you live close to and see what they say. Just for s*)&s and giggles, I checked Autozone. According to their info, they're different. The 03 trans # they have is A75201 and is $3384.99 with an $855.00 core. For the 04, they show part # A727501 and it's $3930.00 with a $705.00 core. Both come with a 3 year warranty, however they want you to call a tech support line and talk to them first before installation. Going by the different part #'s they have, I don't think they'll interchange. Keep looking man.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM

My Vue is a 2WD automatic with the Ecotec 2.2L 4 cylinder engine.

The problem with the Hollander manual and salvage yard computers is that if there is the slightest difference if transmissions from vehicle make and model it will call it non-interchangeable, when the unit will work in the vehicle you need a component in with even slight modification. I checked with my local Autozone and they do not sell transmissions for the Vue. Don't know why not here but they do where you are. Strange. Either way I would never spend that much to fix the vehicle.

Once again, I was hoping that with all the vast knowledge on this forum there would be a few folks that would know other year, makes and model vehicles which have transmissions which will work in a 2004 Vue. Some modifications are ok as long as they are not major.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I would not advise going with another CVT in there. You will end up with the same issues eventually. Most people do a swap to the AF23 transmission.

I don't think anyone on this site has completed it such a swap (hence the lack of responses) but I know there are details of said swap on other Saturn sites. I believe there are some small mods.

The CVT to AF23 swap has been done successfully on Ions and Vues with the ecotec-- you just need to know how to do it.

PM me for more info.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by derf
I would not advise going with another CVT in there. You will end up with the same issues eventually. Most people do a swap to the AF23 transmission.

I don't think anyone on this site has completed it such a swap (hence the lack of responses) but I know there are details of said swap on other Saturn sites. I believe there are some small mods.

The CVT to AF23 swap has been done successfully on Ions and Vues with the ecotec-- you just need to know how to do it.

PM me for more info.
What dref said, or convert to manual. Last choice, part it out.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM

I could always put a Olds Toronado (prior to 1978) unit under the hood and have a bit of fun and super reliability! Just kidding!

What vehicles did the AF23 transmissions come in? I seriously do not mind mods as I have done them on cars since I have been working on them. I am very good at electronics and fabrication and have a fully equipped personal shop to do it.

Yes, people seem to love the so called "good used" CVT transmissions which they have according to the prices I see.

Parting the vehicle out is not an option. I will definitely swap in a standard unit before I kill this low mileage (106k mile) vehicle which is in excellent condition. Too much money to be made. The standard conversion required parts would cost me right under $300.00 for everything, CV shafts and all. I realize that some mods will have to be done other than just an R&R such as wiring harness, ECM and neutral safety switch to begin with.

Before I go the hard way and go through all that trouble though I would still like to know the answer to my original question which I can not seem to get.

"What other year, makes and model vehicles which have transmissions which will work in a 2004 Vue?"

Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 AM

Search (Saturn ION wikipedia) I think it's listed and what years.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Why not just call a Saturn friendly GM dealership and ask them, Andy? I think that's probably the only way you're going to get that question answered.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Cool, I will do both as suggested. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Interchangable transmission or not?