First stage in diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Default First stage in diagnostic

Good day everyone!

So now that I've had my "new" Vue for a week, there are a few things that I've noticed that I would love to have clarification on.

1) Sound system: So I've noticed my speakers are all blown. Not really too much of a concern since my work commute is only 6 minutes if I hit red lights. I was looking up replacements and found that there were a couple of speaker options (4 and 6 speakers) for this model and wanted some insight what I should be looking for in regards to a base model 2003 Vue?
2) Rear hatch (A): I know I need new struts (lift supports) so my rear hatch can support itself. Any brand recommendations?
3) Rear hatch (B): When I unlock the hatch, I've noticed I have to pull the key out of the lock before opening. Is this normal? And is there a way to unlock the hatch from the driver's seat?
4) Door locks: I have no buttons for power door locks but I've noticed resistance when locking and unlocking the door as if the arms are connected to a motor source. Also noticed the auto lock when I start driving and auto unlock when "parked." Does the base model come with a remote faub that I'm missing? And how do you guys go about unlocking the back doors for passengers?
5) Noises: I've noticed settling sounds coming from the car after turning off the engine. It's a fairly common used car thing but I will take any advice of certain things to listen/look for.

Any advice from you GM guys for a household minor mechanic? I haven't hooked up my OBDII reader yet but there's no CEL lit or noticeable driving issues yet.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

1) Don't know which VUE you have (please make a signature) but sounds like 2002-2007 (1st gen)
Assuming base model means 4cyl engine. Ultimately, there were just FWD and AWD, M/T vs Auto, and 4 cyl vs 6.
I think it prob came with an upgraded 6 spkr system only if you got the power everything package (GUESS).
Seems easier to just count the speakers? Note quite sure if you're asking which one you have or are looking for recommendations for replacement speakers. Not trying to be a smartass.
2a) OEM if available (AC Delco I would think). go to rockauto.com and see what's available. stay far away from the low priced sheet, for that is what it is
3b) If you are referring to having to return the key to the straight up and down position and removing it before you can even move the hatch AT ALL, sounds odd.
Maybe the linkage between the back of the key cylinder and the actual latch itself requires some lubrication or the latch itself is hanging up due to scuzz build up and needs some lubing.
Check owners manual re: release button. Didn't even have one on the 208-2010 Vues. Nor the 14 Escapes for that matter
4) Interesting question. I'd find an owner's manual for your year and see if it indicates one is/was available for your config. You could also give the vin to a gm dealership and hey could prob use that to figure it out.
5) Need more of a description than settling. A/C Compressor winding down, Aux cooling fan winding down.....???

3)

Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 AM

In addition to what derf said, I like the Mighty Lift hatch supports that Autozone sells or used to. They're gas charged and will knock your head off when the hatch flies open, so stand clear if you replace them and open it the first time. One of the FEW items I'd recommend from Autozone.