General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Default Diagnostic tool

Hi Guys,

Okay, so I'm putting my timing light, tach & dwell meter away until needed. Can anyone suggest a decent scan tool that will work on my Saturns and Aurora, and what should I expect to pay? Thanks, PAX

Old 10-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

since you said scan tool, I'm assuming you mean a full fledged scan tool with --selectable PIDs
--ability to view and capture real time data (hopefully can be downloaded to PC for analysis/viewing.)
--ability to read P,B,C, and U codes, historical and cleared codes and hopefully brake(ABS) data.
--Supports multiple levels of CANbus (e.g. the standard 6 /14 CAN1, as well as the 3 /11 CAN2-1 and 1/8 CAN2-2) as well as the older J1850 VPW (GM)and PWM(Ford) protocols

I could go on but the price would become prohibitive.

Could probably accept the basic CAN1 info.

Biretctionality (commands to move ABS components, e.g.) is nice but likely cost prohibitive for the average DIYer I'm guessing

So basically I'm very interested in this thread, so I thought I'd throw out what seem to be some minimum specs for us to base the initial discussion on.

It's your thread, after all

Attached Thumbnails Diagnostic tool-obdii_pinout.jpg  

Last edited by derf; 10-02-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 PM

derf,
I don't know what I mean or know what I need or have any idea what you've suggested. The automotive technology has flown past me and I'm trying to catch up on diagnostics.
Here's my application. I can replace parts if I know which one is broke. I don't need commercial $hop grade equipment, but I don't want to count how many times a light blinks for codes. What are codes, and what are these codes telling me? Who are these codes and how dare they talk to me in this fashion. I have an Aurora, 2 Saturns (and expect to acquire more), and it's a matter of time before I find the right retrieval rig, another Chevy S10. All GM. I'm presuming a single tool will work for all the above. Call it solar powered shade tree if you will. It doesn't need to be self standing, should fit in the tool box next to the dwell meter, which by the way was hella better than feeler gages for points. PAX

Last edited by echo1; 10-02-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

I have an old SnapOn red brick with 2003 black programmable cartridges. It has model specific software up to 2003 and OBD2 newer. I can buy a can adaptor and more keys if I really want to spend more $. It does what I need for the old cars that I drive. I've access to the Ford service tool at work for the 06 Navigator.