Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Just bought my first Saturn and first car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Default Just bought my first Saturn and first car.

1998 Saturn SL2. 122K miles 4 door. Nice leather interior, minor hail damage to the roof, new tires, oil change, tranny fluid and filter changed, air filter, spark plugs, stereo system. A/C blows cold, but only one window currently works. The guy that sold it to me told me that there's a plastic clip that needs to be replaced in the windows for them to work. However, there's no sound when using the driver window, so I suspect it's actually the motor. Paid $1800.

Now, one thing that I noticed that I didn't at first is that the "Service Engine Soon" light is on when the car is in axillary mode, but it isn't on when the car is started. Is this actually something to be worried about? I never noticed it before because I haven't had it in aux mode except to check if the ABS light came on and that's when I noticed it. So is the check engine light actually on? If it's not, I can be at peace of mind. I feel I got a pretty good deal.

Lengthy post, time for pics!

Name:  car2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  car.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  38.5 KB

Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 PM

The SES light is on because the engine is not running. All vehicles do this and is normal. If your able to see all of the other lights (such as ABS and other such) your actually in run. Auxilary is one click before it, and only the radio and the windshield wipers work then.

My saturn is my first car too. Tis also a 99'. As for the windows it might be a motor, but the clip idea sounds reasonable since niether of my back windows will stay in there tracks when I attempt to move them with the controls - and before I got the car the guy my grandfather took it to said it had somehting to do with clips.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Octavious
The SES light is on because the engine is not running. All vehicles do this and is normal. If your able to see all of the other lights (such as ABS and other such) your actually in run. Auxilary is one click before it, and only the radio and the windshield wipers work then.

My saturn is my first car too. Tis also a 99'. As for the windows it might be a motor, but the clip idea sounds reasonable since niether of my back windows will stay in there tracks when I attempt to move them with the controls - and before I got the car the guy my grandfather took it to said it had somehting to do with clips.
Sweet, I was just being a noob!

I'm very happy with my car and I expect to get a lot of miles out of it. Once I fix the windows and change teh seat covers (they're covered in dog hair ) it'll be perfect.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:00 AM

Oh, btw, would anyone have a link to the specific plastic clip I'll need to replace?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Yes a GM dealer thats now selling Saturn parts will have a link to everything you need in the electronic parts catalog.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I had to have all my power windows in my '99 SW2 re-done after I bought it, and only one needed a new motor, that was the driver's door...the others were all the white plastic runner clip that actually travels in the channel through the center of the door....and just a tip: the mech that did the work kept another Saturn running off to the side so he could heat the plastic parts up on the radiator off to the side before he snapped them brutally into the channel...he swears the heating up is the only thing that keeps the plastic pieces from splintering,...

Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by timmerz
Yeah, I had to have all my power windows in my '99 SW2 re-done after I bought it, and only one needed a new motor, that was the driver's door...the others were all the white plastic runner clip that actually travels in the channel through the center of the door....and just a tip: the mech that did the work kept another Saturn running off to the side so he could heat the plastic parts up on the radiator off to the side before he snapped them brutally into the channel...he swears the heating up is the only thing that keeps the plastic pieces from splintering,...
Wow, pretty weird, huh?

Is there a chance that the driver window on my car isn't working because of a bad fuse, or something with the console?

Is this the piece I need? # 3

http://www.gmpartsshop.com/index.php...85&catid=30194

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 AM

No, #3 is a plastic guide for the glass itself....you need a small piece of plastic that isn't detailed in these parts lists....it's the traveler in the main channel, the arm of the actuator attaches to it. I'm looking at the parts listing you have there, and $133 is not bad at all for a complete power unit!! I paid $100 per door (including labor) just to have the little piece of plastic replaced! On my driver's door the motor was smoked so it cost $200 including labor, and I believe the parts were Pick n Pull items...
Take a look at this part...this is more like what I'm talking about....this is NOT the correct part, but is closer to the right thing...
http://www.diypowerwindowrepair.com/...ack-Guide.html

Last edited by timmerz; 06-02-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by timmerz
No, #3 is a plastic guide for the glass itself....you need a small piece of plastic that isn't detailed in these parts lists....it's the traveler in the main channel, the arm of the actuator attaches to it. I'm looking at the parts listing you have there, and $133 is not bad at all for a complete power unit!! I paid $100 per door (including labor) just to have the little piece of plastic replaced! On my driver's door the motor was smoked so it cost $200 including labor, and I believe the parts were Pick n Pull items...
Take a look at this part...this is more like what I'm talking about....this is NOT the correct part, but is closer to the right thing...
http://www.diypowerwindowrepair.com/...ack-Guide.html
So I'd have to buy an entire window unit just to replace it? I'm gonna pull the door off of the driver side and see if I see any blown fuses or anything...

Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM

So I checked all the fuses, they were good. I tried to take the door panel off, but after taking off all the screws, the door was still on. Are there clips holding the door on on the inside? Am I going to have to pry the door panel off?

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Saturn and first car.