Dashboad warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Banned
Default Dashboad warning lights

Has anyone had this problem before, I own a 2005 Saturn Vue 2.2l and the problem is not a steady one.
Every now and then when I start my vehicle my battery light comes on, it stays on for maybe a block or two and the goes out and stays out the remainder of my time out.
I have a OBD reader but it does not stay on long enough to use it,any help will be appreciated ... P.S. the vehicle still starts great with no hesitation...

Last edited by roadhog; 07-13-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Your OBD reader is not going to be of help here as it is not the SES light.
Now if your OBD device is capable of monitoring real time data, set it up to monitor alternator output.

It is possible that the belt tensioner is worn out and is not exerting enough tension to keep the serp belt tight against all the pulleys---so it slips, not turning the alternator fast enough to generate the proper alternator V and I output . As the engine runs, things heat up, the serp belt gets a bit "tacky", the and the slippage ceases, the belt spins the pulleys normally, alternator output is acceptable, and the battery light goes out.

The tensioners often fail as a result of worn bearings and will squeal while in use. You can remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand to ensure nothing else is experiencing bearing issues. Also inspect the belt for small cracks

If you decide the tensioner is the issue, you might as well put a new belt on it.
If the belt has not been changed anytime recently, get a new one.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Banned

Thanks for the response Derf I will check that out a.s.a.p. I just bought the vue in march from an Acura dealer here and it only had sixty nine thousand miles and was completely checked by the dealer and came with a car-fax that showed it was a one owner and I got a great deal on it...