Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Dash lights out, along with radio lights and gear lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned
Default Dash lights out, along with radio lights and gear lights

Hello, I have a 1999 Saturn LS2 with 99,XXX miles on it. Recently, when turning on the headlights to drive at night, the dash lights, lights around the stereo and a/c and heating and the lights to show PRND didn't come on. At first, we could just push the spot on the dash to the left of the steering wheel and the instrument lights and others would all come back on just fine. Then get out of the car for a while and get back in and turn on lights and they'd be out again. then just Mess with it a little again and they'd come on again. But now they won't come on at all. Everything else works. Over head interior lights work, headlights and tail lights work, etc, cruise works. no problems with anything except those. the fact that we could barely push the dash and they would come back on makes me think maybe there is a shorted wire or something back there. because if the fuse was burnt out it wouldn't come on at until until replacement, right? and they just recent stopped coming on at all. just in case we tried looking for the fuse that would run all of those lights and we couldn't figure out which fuse it is at all. i have no clue. if there was a fuse to check, which fuse would it be? and is it in the one under the hood or on the inside on passenger side? or does it sound like a shorted wire that would have to be replaced by someone who works with electrics in cars? i also read that it could be the dimmer switch that is right on the dash on the spot we were able to push or tinker with and make the lights come on. and yes we did make sure the dimmer switch was turned up so the lights should be on if there was a connection. so we are stumped right now. does it sound like a shorted wire? fuse? broken dimmer switch? i know i am going to end up going to the mechanic but i wanted to gain some knowledge on this before hand to avoid being ripped off and/or confused. any help from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated!! we just want to get this fixed and know about what we may have to do or pay to make it happen. Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-24-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 PM

It could still very well be a shot dimmer switch. They are basically a rheostat and over time, the heat seems to wear them out. Not an uncommon problem. I'd grab one at a salvage yard and swap it out before doing anything else, if it were mine.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Just turning the dashboard light dimmer may bring everything back. Its located in the dash just to the left of the steering wheel. The contact may have carboned up so adjusting it might restore the connection.