Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

New or rebuilt engine ideas? First Post

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Banned
Default New or rebuilt engine ideas? First Post

This is my first post besides my welcome new members. I'm the 1st owner of my 94 SW2, with over 200K on the body very nice condition with new headline and tires and very well cared for. My used engine (installed 6 years ago) either blew a rod or something serious as my mechanic just said get another engine like he did the last time. My mechanic does not rebuild engines at all so I assume it can be fixed.

I want to get my Saturn fixed for obvious reasons. But I am unable to locate a shop to buy a rebuild engine and I will pay for shipping, any ideas? Or should I send this one out? I'm in NJ/NYC area.

Any tips appreciated.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM

http://accurateengines.com/remanufac...es/saturn/sl2/

or just google for remanufactured saturn engines

Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Junkyard row near philly airport

Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tips, I emailed for results. Has anyone ever bought a rebuilt block for an S model? If so who did they like best?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Banned

Here is my engine youtube, any thoughts on this sound? Is it upper or lower problem before I break it down to have a look?
http://tinyurl.com/or9eftm

Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 AM

How'd you get a jackhammer under the hood? Just kidding, that sounds like a rod knocking to me, but I'm not a mechanic. I'd drop the oil pan and check the main bearings and rod bearings if it were mine. If it's not a rod bearing, then it could be a wrist pin. If it were a wrist pin, the oil pan will need to come off, the crankshaft removed and the head removed too in order to drive the piston and connecting rod out. If it comes to that, you may as well pull the engine and rebuild the whole thing. I've never heard a timing chain go out on a Saturn engine, but if someone else has, maybe they can tell you if that sounds like the chain slapping the timing cover.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Honestly, that does not sound like a bearing knock to me, it would have been better if you had opened the hood for the recording, the hood muffles the sound somewhat. I'd like to hear it with the hood open and the mic in the engine compartment.

What it sounds like to me is an exhaust leak very close to the head, such as a blown doughnut between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe or a cracked exhaust manifold or even a hole in the exhaust pipe, the cat or the exhaust pipe has separated from the cat.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Sorry can tell much from the u-tube presentation, to me it sounds like a slow running lawn mower.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM

It's funny how what Keith said was also an impression that I got, but I hear an underlying knocking sound. Maybe it's just because I'm 57 years old and don't hear as well as Keith. I'd suggest taking it to a couple of other "mechanics" and having it checked. Maybe even try a reputable muffler shop, and I DON'T mean Midas. They're a bunch of con artists.

Quick Reply: New or rebuilt engine ideas? First Post