2010 XE 4 cyl won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Does that slide over the torque converter snout ok? It looks right from here. I always pack the backside of the seal with grease to help retain the spring on the seal.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 PM

Yeah, it fits.

I guess Im just wondering if the is the seal that was referenced for me to replace. Popular methods for removing show drilling screws in it... I don't see how else I could get that thing out...

Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 AM

You might try the term "front pump seal" if that one doesn't fit. Any way you can take an old wire coat hanger, cut a piece about *' long and bend a small L on one end and get it in between the shaft and seal and yank it out? If you have room to do that, maybe make two and give that a try. If you drill into it and try the screw method, make sure you stop the drill as soon as it penetrates the metal piece of the seal. IDK what's behind it, but I don't think it needs an extra hole. Screw in the screws a good way, put a vise grip on it and give it a good yank. It SHOULD move.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

They call it a torque converter seal on this style transmission because the pump is somewhere else in the transmission. And removing the seal can be a challenge the first time. Study the new seal to see where to drill a very small hole, just big enough to start a small sheet metal screw. Then just screw it in a turn and pry the seal out. Maybe with a claw hammer.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the correct term, Andy. I haven't worked in a parts store for nearly 20 years now and things have changed. I can't recall EVER selling any parts for a Saturn while I was working for the Zone and Advance. Of course, they weren't that old of cars at that time either. I'm talking about from 1994 to 2000, so most were probably still running the OEM stuff.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 AM
Default Thanks

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with this project. I work slow, so it's just now that I am getting to the point of attempting to start it.

Everything is bolted, attached and ready to try. Except one sensor on the exhaust.ni assume this is an o2 sensor. I can't get it off the old or new engine, and the new connector does not fit.

But I figured I could at least try to start.

It's been so long since this has been running, the battery is dead. Soni have it jumped to my other car, but the starter won't engage. Just clicks. It's a fairly new starter. I will take my battery to have it charged and checked. Even with the jump, maybe it's just doesn't have the power?

I will work it out, but right now, I have the engine in and I could not have done that without all your help!

Thank you so much!

Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Keep on Truckun'!
As my B I L says, "I'm not good but I'm slow"

Old 08-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Default Finished

Just to finish out this topic.

My car is running and appears to be good to go. As I was working, I tucked some cables and hoses is such a way that I forgot they were there. Thus I missed a power cable going to the starter. Tracing all my cables sorted that out.

Also, on my first test drive, the brakes did not work. Again, the hose to the brake booster was hidden away.

I was never able to remove the o2 sensor on the back. So I swapped out the connector.

With this experience, I can see that this could have been a couple weekends job. Not a lot of special tools needed, except the hoist. I did it all alone, though I would recommend a second set of hands for some things.

Again, thank you all for the patient help. Especially since I just realized I have a 2008, not a 2010 like my post says... Too many cars in my driveway, I'm getting them confused...

Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

It's all good. Glad to hear you're up and running.
You got from pt B to pt F in a non standard matter, but what is important is that you got there.

And thank you for stopping back to tie up loose ends. Most people don't. It makes a world of difference to those who come after, seeking similar info.
Also appreciated by those that took time to help you.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Another win! I love it when they can just drive away with a smile. Good job!
Thanks for letting us know.
Andy