2008-2010 Vue side marker bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 11:52 AM
Lightbulb 2008-2010 Vue side marker bulb

Hello, I'm facing an issue with my 09 Vue, and I hope someone can assist me. I need to replace the side marker bulb on both the front and rear, which is located on both bumper’s right next to the wheel. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but if I take off the wheel liner I should have space to take out the bulb?The problem is, I'm unsure how to take off the wheel liner to gain access to the bulb in the front. Also not really sure how to do it in the back, I might not replace the rear bulbs as it seems a bit harder. Could someone provide guidance or step-by-step instructions on how to remove the wheel liner and access the side marker bulb for replacement? Any help would be very much obliged!

Old 11-19-2023, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Never worked on a Vue.

That being said, most GM cars have the wheelhouse liners attached with a bunch of torx head screws running along the outer edge of the liner where it meets the outer trim of the wheel well.

Start from the lowest and remove them until you get to the top center. Usually they will stop here.
There are often a few of those black plastic center push lock fasteners holding the wheelhouse liner to the inner surface of the wheel well, or should I say some part of the frame. You must remove all of the fasteners up to the 12:00 position in order to be able to get the front half of the wheelhouse liner shoved back far enough for you to have access.

Also, check for torx screws or hex bolts just in front of the wheel well on the underside of the vehicle. There is usually a lip onto which the end of the liner is attached. Take note of how the outer edge of the wheelhouse liner fits together with the outer edge trim. You may be untucking it when you remove it so you need to be sure you know how it goes back together.

Alternatively, some vehicles have an access door on the underside of the vehicle directly behind or in front of otherwise difficult to access bulbs. These usually open with a torx screwdriver so you probably want to check to see if any are there on this vehicle before you take the wheel off.

Assuming you are going in through the wheelhouse,
Get some good light in there and identify the bulb location. Grip the bulb socket and rotate counterclockwise about 90° until the socket is free and remove the socket with the burned out bulb.

Put on a pair of latex or neoprene gloves (Walmart) . This is to prevent getting oil from your skin onto the bulb as this weakens the glass and greatly shortens the life of the bulb. Do both hands for when you fumble and juggle it.

The bulb probably has a flat edge profile where it plugs into the socket. Grasp it firmly and pull straight out. It's been there 15 years and May have a little corrosion but it will come out. Just don't crush the bulb and cut yourself.

Open the packet containing the new bulb, check the bolt socket for corrosion, and then insert the new bulb while touching it only with gloves.

Test the bulb now before you put it back together.

The bulb holder with the new bulb turned off back into the hole you took it out of. It will generally only fit in one way based on the plastic tab cutouts on both the back of the lens and the bulb socket itself. Once you figure that out it will seat into the hole. Push in gently and rotate clockwise until it locks into place.

Realign The wheelhouse liner, reinstall all fasteners, and you're done.

You can probably find a YouTube video on how to do it for the second generation Vue.