2003 V6 Vue Alternator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Default 2003 V6 Vue Alternator Removal

So I have watched all the videos and I have the alternator disconnected. How do I get it out of the engine compartment. I am sure there must be a GM/Saturn repair manual that details the proper sequence whether it is engine mount removal or otherwise. This thread has been here before but never answered. What is the secret key to provide enough clearance to remove this alternator?

Old 07-24-2020, 09:24 AM
Talking I figured it out.

For all of you who have struggled with this I will tell you the secret that nobody seems to want to share. I wont bore you with how to actually remove the alternator bolts/connectors and serpentine belt.

Remove the Passenger front wheel. Loosen the two bolts on the passenger side engine mount about half way. 18mm deepwell. Jack up the engine using a piece of wood on the oil pan just enough to allow the loosened engine mount to clear the upper frame. Fully remove the 2 engine mount bolts. Remove the thee bolts holding the engine mount to the engine 14mm i believe. Remove the engine mount offset bar which covers the serpentine belt if you plan to replace the belt. (good Idea since it is just 4 15mm bolts to gain access to the tension-er.

Remove the lower passenger tie rod connection at the wheel hub. Loosen and remove the two sway bar mounting bolts at the U-coupling to allow it to swing rearward. (key to providing clearance)

Her is the KEY. Lower the engine all the way down. This provides clearance to the fender well when you are able to then rotate the sway bar sideways.

The other videos and threads talking about jacking up the engine fail to tell you you have to lower it after the mount is removed to provide proper clearance.

One last trick. Attach the Serpentine belt from the top. It is much easier. Put the belt around everything but the tensioner pulley then put your 15mm wrench behind the belt and pull down on the tensioner to slip the belt back onto the tensioner and release the wrench.

Last edited by Terence Collins; 07-24-2020 at 09:29 AM.