General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned
Default Voltage

Ok. Start off with '98 Saturn SC2

My battery light comes on and goes off on my cluster.... does this at random times. I was told that on saturns that when the alternator is getting weak it will do this. Is this true?

I replaced the battery not to long ago and seemed to do well for about a week then started again. Maybe I should also mention I have two fifteens pounding in the trunk.... god I need an capacitor. But anyhow, could the alternator be the problem??

Any other car I have had when the alternator was bad.... the car just shut down.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Yea i would say your Alt is bad.With two 15's it never had a chance.I believe the alt only puts out like 90is watts just enough for the car stock.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Believe it or not, but Saturn didn't envision the load you are placing on the battery/alternator system. Yes, a capacitor would help, but you need to go through the entire system, and make sure all connections are clean and tight. Several people have replaced the "critical" wires with ones of a much larger variety, and achieved some limited amount of success - so that option is open to you.

As far as the alternator goes, yes, one set of the stator diodes could go bad and cause what you are seeing, so the best suggestion I have here is to stop by your local AutoZone (or equivelent car shoppe) and have them run a test on the alternator/charging system