2003 Saturn Vue All Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Question 2003 Saturn Vue All Wheel Drive

I've just recently become the owner of a 2003 VTI AWD Saturn Vue and as the car has already been to the shop for the AWD gearbox system (warranty work and not out of pocket) I've obviously become curious and started searching the web. That's how I found this forum and decided to join.

In any case, I got the Vue back 3 days ago and since I'm new to the AWD version of the Vue I'm still figuring out what are normal sounds and what are abnormals sounds. As soon as I hear an abnormal sound the car goes back to the dealership for more warranty work. They already hate seeing my car in their garage bay and likely don't want to see it again but I have no problem with them working on it.

The reason I took it in is because the drivetrain fully failed. What I mean by that is that the engine would rev up and then suddenly the car would jerk forward. Yes it was low on fluid but the VTI transmission had all sorts of broken bits in it. Like I said, I bought the car with a 12 month warranty on the transmission and drivetrain so I have no problems with taking it into Pohanka dealership over and over and over and over again until they get it right.

For all I know at the moment they did get it right this time and I just need to know what are normal VTI sounds and which ones are not.

As it is right now, there is absolutely no problem with shifting there is no grinding or moaning sound.

There is a very slight sound that concerns me a bit but it could be a native sound to this particular VTI drive-train. It sounds a bit like a very slight whine. Not exactly a whine but I'd compare it most closely to the sound you might hear from a wheel bearing that's just started going bad. It's not loud and it's there whether I'm turning or moving straight ahead and although it does change pitch slightly with speed it does have a finite pitch which it won't go above no matter what high speeds I reach.

The car is the 4 cylinder Saturn Vue. Some slight wear but otherwise in very nice condition. The seats need cleaning cause it was previously owned by a mom with two young kids but the few stains are coming out. The SUV is tip-top for the most part and the only thing that has gone wrong was the transmission VTI drive-train. It was repaired in April by the previous owner and again just a few days ago although, as I said, the recent repair didn't cost me anything due to the warranty that Pohanka put on their work including parts and labor.

The engine yesterday had it's 80k mile birthday and the engine sounds fantastic.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what is an acceptable sound for the AWD VTI drive-train and what is not acceptable? Also, the sound that I described above, does that seem like a normal sound for this tranny or is it the ghost of repairs to come?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM

This thread is sort of the more detailed continuation from my introductory thread located here: Introduction Thread: New Saturn Vue Owner from D.C.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM

What I have discovered about the VTI is kind of interesting. The all wheel drive actually gets activated when the front wheels are turning faster than the rear wheels. So if you've got tires that aren't worn equally all around then this could cause the VTI to work overtime.

One solution is to have the better tires in the front (more tread means a slightly larger wheel) so that the front wheels don't turn spin faster than the rear. Another option is to slightly under-inflate the rear tires while inflating the front tires to the highest recommended pressure.