New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Saturn Vue Owner from D.C.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Default New Saturn Vue Owner from D.C.

Hello all, I've just recently become the owner of a 2003 VTI AWD Saturn Vue and as the car has already been to the shop for the AWD gearbox system (warranty work and not out of pocket) I've obviously become curious and started searching the web. That's how I found this forum and decided to join.

In any case, I got the Vue back 3 days ago and since I'm new to the AWD version of the Vue I'm still figuring out what are normal sounds and what are abnormals sounds. As soon as I hear an abnormal sound the car goes back to the dealership for more warranty work. They already hate seeing my car in their garage bay and likely don't want to see it again but I have no problem with them working on it.

The reason I took it in is because the drivetrain fully failed. What I mean by that is that the engine would rev up and then suddenly the car would jerk forward. Yes it was low on fluid but the VTI transmission had all sorts of broken bits in it. Like I said, I bought the car with a 12 month warranty on the transmission and drivetrain so I have no problems with taking it into Pohanka dealership over and over and over and over again until they get it right.

For all I know at the moment they did get it right this time and I just need to know what are normal VTI sounds and which ones are not.

So I hope you'll welcome me aboard as a fellow Saturn owner.

Rob

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Rob, I can not answer your question directly due to lack of knowledge I do think you need to do a little bit of research on that transmission AND read your warranty very carefully.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.b_JuqYF6uVI

Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
Rob, I can not answer your question directly due to lack of knowledge I do think you need to do a little bit of research on that transmission AND read your warranty very carefully.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.b_JuqYF6uVI
Thanks for the link but I've become keenly aware about the frailties of the VTI and I've already had it out with the Big Cheese over at Pohanka Chevrolet & Whatever else they sell. They do all the Saturn work for this area and know what they are doing. Had all the pistons for all the clutches replaced, new casing, new clutches. Actually it would be quicker to tell you what wasn't replaced rather than what was.

Got the paper and had it out with them already and they gave a 12 month guarantee on parts and labor and they acknowledged that they will honor it.

I also know that this transmission is a POS. I know that they shred themselves within 60k-80k miles and that's on the high side.

Since they already offered me more than blue book for the car (with strings attached) if push comes to shove I might just do some haggling with them and work out a deal that I release them from their warranty if they change the car over to a straight front wheel drive and set the computer in the car to reflect it so I won't have any problems with inspection/emissions.

My dad has the more luxurious FWD model and I know that it's a hell of a good car but the VTI is junk. I'll just keep taking it back there again and again and as I didn't buy the car from them they can't really weasel out of it. Been through the paperwork with a fine tooth comb already with them so I lucked out in that respect.

Now I just gotta figure out what is the normal sound of the VTI operating correctly and what sounds are forebodings of it breaking down again.

FYI, They already took apart and put back together this transmission 5 times combined. I find that kinda funny but hey, thems the breaks.

Cheers,
Rob

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Absolute worst case scenario is that I swap out the 4 cylinder engine and stick in the 6 along with the good transmission that they made for that engine. However I'm fine with the car being just a front wheel drive if that's all it takes cause I know this transmission is on borrowed time as are all the VTI.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I'm quite the accomplished shade-tree mechanic so since I like the car a lot I might just get to upgrading things. Didn't pay all that much for it and it's in very nice condition all around.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned

Welcome to the Forum, and good luck with your AWD VUE ......

Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ogien
Absolute worst case scenario is that I swap out the 4 cylinder engine and stick in the 6 along with the good transmission that they made for that engine. However I'm fine with the car being just a front wheel drive if that's all it takes cause I know this transmission is on borrowed time as are all the VTI.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I'm quite the accomplished shade-tree mechanic so since I like the car a lot I might just get to upgrading things. Didn't pay all that much for it and it's in very nice condition all around.
I guess you are a step or two ahead of me on the thing then. Sorry I can't help on the sound of things. They have proven to be a problem as used in cars for shure. Although in lighter applications and commercial applications they seem to be working. A number of manufacturers offered them that I know of and the only one still doing so is to the best of my knowledge Nissan although I might be wrong.

They seem to be in general extremly fussy to the transmission fluid used so I would be careful there. Personally if your dealer has offered you a chance to get out from under it at finacial level that is affordable I would take it. But that is just my opinion. I looked at one when they were new and decided I did not like the technology and could not see that dependability was dialed in. Maintence costs when new were through the roof so I passed. I am glad I did.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Welcome to the Forum, and good luck with your AWD VUE ......
Thanks for the friendly howdy.

Originally Posted by uncljohn
I guess you are a step or two ahead of me on the thing then. Sorry I can't help on the sound of things. They have proven to be a problem as used in cars for shure. Although in lighter applications and commercial applications they seem to be working. A number of manufacturers offered them that I know of and the only one still doing so is to the best of my knowledge Nissan although I might be wrong.

They seem to be in general extremly fussy to the transmission fluid used so I would be careful there. Personally if your dealer has offered you a chance to get out from under it at finacial level that is affordable I would take it. But that is just my opinion. I looked at one when they were new and decided I did not like the technology and could not see that dependability was dialed in. Maintence costs when new were through the roof so I passed. I am glad I did.
At the moment, my financial situation would not allow me to get out from under this car. In other words I'm broke but I have the warranty for parts and labor along with my reasonable knowledge of mechanics. Though it is true that the cars produced since the late 90s are not very "shade-tree" mechanic friendly.

Aside from not being in a position to get out from under this car I actually do like the car a lot. I like the way it drives, handles and feels on the road. It certainly doesn't look like an old car and fits in nicely (in terms of looks) with the current crop of SUVs.

What I have discovered about the VTI is kind of interesting. The all wheel drive actually gets activated when the front wheels are turning faster than the rear wheels. So if you've got tires that aren't worn equally all around then this could cause the VTI to work overtime.

One solution is to have the better tires in the front (more tread means a slightly larger wheel) so that the front wheels don't turn spin faster than the rear. Another option is to slightly under-inflate the rear tires while inflating the front tires to the highest recommended pressure.

I'm going to post this info in the Saturn Vue section too so that it may be of help to other Vue owners.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 PM

Welcome .........................

Quick Reply: New Saturn Vue Owner from D.C.