02 Saturn Vue won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Default 02 Saturn Vue won't crank

EDIT: I found the problem! When I took out the alternator I must have pulled on the charging wire a bit to hard (I forgot to unbolt it and as I was trying to reposition the alternator to pull it out, it was still hooked up on the wire. As I was tracing the wire, I found that it managed to sever the wire at the starter motor. Now, I just have to try to replace the wire from the battery to the starter and I'll probably replace the wire from the starter to the alternator at the same time. Only problem is getting in there to do it. Wow! The only starter I've seen that is harder to get to is the starter in my wife's 2006 GMC Envoy Denali (5.3 V8). When that had to be replaced, I took it to a shop and let them do it.

Original post:
I'm in the process of buying my cousin's 02 Saturn Vue with the 3.0 V6. He bought it new and it was well maintained although since it came from Michigan, there is some rust on the unibody.

I was checking it out and discovered the alternator wasn't charging. He really hasn't driven it for about a year (we live in FL and the A/C wasn't working). So, I ordered alternator (rebuilt unit from Advance Auto).

I drove the car into my shop, disconnected the negative post of the battery, put it on the lift, removed right front tire and the plastic access panel. I loosened the serpentine belt, disconnected the wires from the alternator. There is one wire going to a quick disconnect (although there are 2 posts) and one wire going to the battery. I replaced it with the rebuilt unit and now the car won't start. The starter motor does NOT turn the engine over. Definitely a no crank situation. The battery is only a few months old and it is fully charged (12.67 volts). When I turn the key, all the dash lights come on but the starter solenoid doesn't even click. No noise, no nothing...

Any ideas? Is there something I need to reset? I had the battery disconnected for about 24 hours.

I'm really looking for ideas on how to fix this!

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by cruizin54; 05-14-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

I believe this is the GM part number

22683709 / Positive CableVUE; 3.0L
Fits 02 03 only

Did not do exhaustive search but no GM parts houses have it in stock as it is long since discontinued. You may be looking at a trip to the yard. But certainly do a complete internet search first. suppose you can always make one but with that amperage you might just have someone make it for you.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-pa...t/battery-scat

Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by derf
I believe this is the GM part number

22683709 / Positive CableVUE; 3.0L
Fits 02 03 only

Did not do exhaustive search but no GM parts houses have it in stock as it is long since discontinued. You may be looking at a trip to the yard. But certainly do a complete internet search first. suppose you can always make one but with that amperage you might just have someone make it for you.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-pa...t/battery-scat

Thanks!

Naturally, the wire I broke is the one between the solenoid and the starter. It's only about 2" long and is terminated inside the starter with the other end at the solenoid. I tried to solder the end - no go. Then I tried using a hydraulic crimper, again no-go. I'm going to order a new starter. When I looked closely at the break - it must have only been hanging on by a thread to begin with. Nothing in the area of the beak looked new. Not looking forward to digging out the starter but it is easier to see and get to with the alternator removed.

This car is for my stepson. He really needs 4 wheels, is currently dependent on a 250cc Kawasaki street/trail bike. My cousin told me from the get go that he was concerned about the starter as it is the original and the car has 180K on it. With a new starter and new alternator (plus going to do the valve cover gaskets), he should have something reasonably reliable to help get him back on his feet (or should I say wheels?).

I'm going to order a starter tonight and start tearing the intake off tomorrow.

Last edited by cruizin54; 05-14-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

A life of a starter is usually to record proportional to the number of times a wheel rotates and how many crank sequences occur during his lifetime. With a side of bearing quality.

I had about 255k on the original starter in my 97 SC2 when it finally went.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Don't get the AutoZone or advanced Auto no name special with the limited lifetime warranty. It's a limited lifetime warranty because they only last about a year each. So if you want to do the job only once, buy a decent part. Just saying.... FYI

Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 PM

Well I ordered it from Autozone. I may be risking an early failure but the car probably only has a couple years left. There is rust and my stepson wants to move back to NJ, so it's going to get a salt bath regularly durong the winter once he gets a job up there.

My 1994 SL2 that I bought new, the starter died at about 120K, so 180K on original starter is pretty long IMO.